The Diary of Al Blue | Teen Ink

The Diary of Al Blue

March 18, 2013
By allison0115 SILVER, Cranston, Rhode Island
allison0115 SILVER, Cranston, Rhode Island
6 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Maybe somewhere I took a wrong turn, but in the end it led me to a great place."


October 31, 1918:The Battle of Epehy

I have heard from Commander Johnson that the war is going to end on November 11, 1918 at 11:11 am. Fighting in the Battle of Epehy as a member of the U.S. 205th Infantry Unit has been rough. I continue to think of my brother Sam, who chose to fight for the Germans believing that they would win the war. The German Infantry Unit is stronger than my unit, but I know that if Sam and I ever come face to face in battle he will spare me.
November 5, 1918

Trench warfare has had a big impact on my life. Everyday I am not only more alert not knowing when an artillery shell may strike but also in my hygiene because I do not want to get trench foot.

I have noticed lately that I am thinking more and more about Sam. I am worried that he may be dead. I seriously doubt that he died because he is a strong man and a good soldier. Hopefully we both live to see the end of the war.
November 10, 1918

It is the last full day of the war. The Germans are coming I can feel it. While I begin to hear screaming amongst the men. Then out of nowhere Germans flood into my room. I see Sam coming toward me and a begin to smile. Then as I prepare to resume writing he lifts his gun and pulls the trigger.