Yang Guozhong's Point of View about An Lushan | Teen Ink

Yang Guozhong's Point of View about An Lushan

January 1st 756 CE

Dear An Lushan,

Of course you would be delighted to hear about my death. Probably because you knew I had wanted to revoke your power. Yes, I was executed because I was blamed for your rebellion. However, having time to think about it, being blamed for a rebellion of that caliber is quite an honor. Jealous that I was credited for all of your hard work? You must be, surely a rebellion like yours took exorbitant amounts of time, planning, and work.

Anyway, now that I have heard your life story let’s delve into some of mine. As you know, I became the high chancellor after Li Linfu died. What an honor it was to be in that position. There were rumors that you wanted the position of high chancellor. Is this true? I sure hope so, because that would have made it even greater for me to be high chancellor; remember I hate you. Well, that's enough about me; I would love to discuss your failures!

Remember that time you tried to take over the Tang capital and failed? Good times, good times. You probably don't want to remember the details, so I am happy to enlighten you! I will admit your army was large, but it was not large enough take take over the Suiyang District. Not only was your army not large enough, your forces were also blocked front the main capital at Chang'an. However, although you failed to acquire control of the Tang capital, I do have to say that I respect you and your rebellion because it had the power to damage the government beyond full recovery for many years.

Because we are enemies, I feel it is my duty to close this letter with something negative about you. So, I am just reminding you that your own son executed you because you became very paranoid.

Sincerely yours,
Yang Guozhong