History Of Akracia | Teen Ink

History Of Akracia

By Lady_Teribithea GOLD, LaPorte, Colorado
Lady_Teribithea GOLD, LaPorte, Colorado

Akracia was originally settled by the Atoka, who were a nomadic people. They followed the herds of animals, occasionally growing crops, but more often not. Eventually they split into two groups, one more agricultural, the other still nomadic. These groups spread throughout Akracia, becoming smaller and smaller groups, then individual tribes.

They fought with each other fairly frequently, over food, land, supplies, or for honor.

They lived in all parts of the land: the harsh desert, the cold mountains, vast plains, and deep forests. They knew the land, and it knew them.

The Tartans first discovered Akracia in the 1300’s. They came upon Akracia after getting lost at sea. The Tartans explored the land: talking to the natives, journeying across the huge country, and exploring whatever they found. They decided that, from what they had found, this was not Estoria, the already established country they had been looking for. However, they knew its many resources would benefit them and decided to claim this new land as their own.

They had been going to Estoria for trade purposes, and they knew that this land offered things their home country, Conzare, lacked. They returned home with news of this new place, and many settlers joined them in the journey to return to this new land. A few settlers stayed in the newly found land, starting homesteads and crops.

Conzare let these citizens leave, for it hoped that they would retain a strong relationship with their home country, bringing in foreign wares, more land, and more power. For a while they retained power in the settlements, but the distance prevented any real control. Eventually, gradually, the two countries split.

The natives protested claiming land as one’s own, but in return for trade, and being left alone, they stayed quiet. This trade allowed the two ethnicities proximity, which eventually led to intermarrige.

The Tartans lived peacefully on the newly discovered land for almost 300 years. They intermarried with the native people, and eventually, the two became indistinguishable.

A small group was still loyal to their native country, and found this disgraceful. They called themselves the Pure Ones, as they had never allowed intermarriage. The Pure Ones gathered support and rebelled against the leader, a young man named Akra, who had a Tartan mother, and a native father. Many people supported him, but dissenters quickly saw the benefit of helping overthrow him.

A civil war ensued. Over half the population was destroyed.During a particularly nasty winter battle, Akra was killed by the rebel leader, who was shot down seconds later.

This war had lasted almost 46 years, and Akra was an old man at the time he died. His only child, a daughter named Imka, took over as leader, but she did not understand war the way Akra had, and the rebels won by that spring.

They set about hunting down and executing those who were not pure. Imka spent the next 9 years in hiding, gathering support from others. In the 10th year after the war, she started another rebellion, one that was won within a year. She named this land after her father, calling it Akracia. She had many children, and with the consent of her people, passed leadership onto her thirdborn-a son named Nash. She had planned to pass it to her firstborn, Akra, named after his grandfather, but the people would not accept him. He was power-hungry and vain. He wished to conquer the neighboring lands, ruling them all. The people had lived in peace only a few short years,and did not want to plunge back into war so soon.

He was angered by this, and rallied his supporters in an assassination attempt on his brother. He nearly succeeded, and would have if his brother’s wife hadn’t fallen into the trap first. Akra had sent an assassin to wait in his brother’s chambers, to kill him with a poisoned blade when he entered after dinner. Nash was held up by political business, but his wife retired early. She was killed, but her cry for help brought guards who caught the assassin.

Akra and his assassin were executed as traitors, and Nash took the throne. Years later, he took another wife, and the lineage of Akra still runs in our blood.

That is the way it has always been. We are ruled by a dictator, and when the time comes to pass leadership on, it usually goes on to their children, unless the people disagree. In the end, our ruler is the people’s choice.

In 1719, this chain was broken. The Dictator at the time, Sar, tried to pass leadership onto her daughter. The people disagreed, but the coronation was held regardless. They preferred her son, for they knew and respected him. He had grown up among the people, where Skree had been raised apart, destined for the throne. Skree entered her rule with riots on her hands. The people would not accept Skree, or follow her commands. The military helped hold them back, but the people got more and more violent, killing Sar when she tried to soothe them.

This lasted for 7 years as Skree tried to hold her throne. In the end, she was killed, and the people put Sar’s son on the throne. He had not wanted the place, but was well-known to the people, and had grown up amongst them. He was a well-loved ruler, because he knew how the people saw matters, and could decide accordingly.

In the late 19th century, our country started looking for trade and alliances. We looked to our neighbors first, Estoria and Conzare. Our leaders met, and a three-way alliance was formed. In recent times of war, we have stood together.

We hope to remain this way, for we know that doing so brings us power, as well as a greater chance at peace.

This is the history of 'my' country, which we made during social studies.