Letter to Home | Teen Ink

Letter to Home

June 4, 2012
By Kidu14 SILVER, San Diego, California
Kidu14 SILVER, San Diego, California
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."


Dear Mother,

I have never seen so many supplies in one place in my whole life! The island I’m on right now seems like it will sink if the cargo ships bring any more! If you can’t tell, this has been my best decision of my whole life. I get to fight the evil dictators of the world and be in another country while it happens! The “fight the dictators” part is a little aggrandized. To b frank, I got put on magician duty. My unit and I have to help out some guy build fake tanks and airplanes to fool the Germans for some reason. You can’t really ask many questions in the army, it’s more of a “do what you’re told” kind of atmosphere. Some of the boys were guessing we were going to be invading France but for all I know they’re crazy. Everyone’s crazy on this island. The commanders are uptight and nervous like something is going to bite them, or someone. The civilians are really crazy. I go into town to look around and some of them are shaking! Can you believe that? As if my being there made their day a whole lot worse! I may understand their reasons later though. Hindsight’s 20/20, right? Not really. If it wasn’t true, then I’d still be on that boring farm with you and the family and not fighting these Germans.

I recently read Mister Ernest Hemingway’s book For Whom the Bell Tolls and, quite frankly, this guy is the craziest of them all. He talked so much about disillusionment that I thought I was going to throw up! He obviously was never in a war before! Well, I don’t know for sure but he made it sound like a drag. The only thing I liked was the love part. However, the girl in that book wasn’t crazy like all the ones over here! I know you want grandkids but yours sure aren’t going to be British! Sorry I got off on a tangent. It’s just hard to stay optimistic when these doomsayers roam the army. I can’t believe them sometimes! I say one thing about the war and they instantly turn off their senses and become crazy like all the rest! Then I have to go on and change to something else.

Well, I’ve kind of lost track of what I was saying now so I think I’m going to pack up for the night and get some shut-eye. I hope the farm is doing well, or if you’re in the factories now I’ll be checking your work from over here!
With Regards,
Your Loving Son