The Life of Nayeli Vargez | Teen Ink

The Life of Nayeli Vargez

April 10, 2012
By Ntippetts21 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
Ntippetts21 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

July 25th, 1953
Querido Diario,
Today was one of the best days of my life. After attending to the chickens and fetching water for my mother to bathe my little brother Andy, I went down into the city to pick up a gallon of milk. As I was walking down the road, jumping over the cracks and potholes, I saw something shiny ahead on the ground. It was diez pesos (ten mexican dollars). I have never had money before in my life! When I got to the city, I went to the gift shop right next to the grocery store. I saw a little diary with a heart shaped lock on one of the shelves. This is now the paper book I will be writing in when I can not talk to anyone else.
Nayeli Vargez

July 36th, 1953
Querido Diario,
It is midday, sun is shining bright and warm over the stairs to the porch that I am sitting on. I just found out that the best day ever (yesterday) was the worst day ever to some people who were trying to change our government leader, Batista. From what I overheard Mama and Papa talk about, some U.S people like Mr. Batista but Papa says he is bad news. Several men were killed yesterday. Someone named Castro was put in jail. There is a city prayer for the men later downtown. Mama says I have to go.
Nayeli Vargez

August 23, 1953
Querido Diario,
On my way to the store to get another pencil because Andy decided mine looked tasty and good to chew on, I wasn’t paying attention to my feet and I stumbled over a pothole. My knees got skinned up and the palms of my hands got bruised. When I got home I realised I had made holes in the knees of my jeans. Holes! Can you imagine how made Mama would be if she saw? I quickly changed my jeans and threw them away. Hopefully I can somehow replace them before Mama finds out. Keep my secret safe please.
Nayeli Vargez

November 28th, 1956
Querido Diario,
I have been very busy lately with school work and chores. I have not gotten the chance to write in my diary. So far this year I have made lots of new friends at school and Mama said maybe one day I can invite some over to have a sleepover! We would sleep on the living room floor and tell each other stories. First funny stories and then scary stories while eating candy and popcorn. Mama said as soon as she saves enough money for the food, which should be soon because she just got a new job at the market downtown. Her new job requires her to work late nights so Papa says I am getting new responsibilities around the house. So far what has changed is instead of talking with Mama bout things after work, he talks with me. Mama had it easy.
Nayeli Vargez

December 11, 1956
Querido Diario,
What a sad day today was. Not really for me but for someone I care about.
When Papa got home from work, he had something important to tell me. He told me about his brother, my Uncle Alejandro, had walked out on his family to join some rebels and that man Castro that got let out of prison last year. Papa said Uncle Alejandro talked about having a better life when Batista is gone and tried to get Papa to go with him. Papa said he has a family to take care of and wasn’t going to leave them to fend for themselves. But Uncle Alejandro didn’t care what Papa said and left anyways. He should have stayed in my opinion. His wife Anna just had a baby girl Julia. Then I had to go do more chores and make dinner. I’m starting to think Mama didn’t have it so easy.
Nayeli Vargez

December 21 1956
Querido Diario,
While trying to get some work finished for school, I heard the front door slam. I then heard my name being called from a women. She sounded stressed and like she had been crying. I ran out into the kitchen where my Uncle Alejandro’s wife Anna was on her knees crying harder than I have ever seen anyone cry. She had a piece of paper in her hand. It was a letter. The letter was from someone in Cuba saying that Uncle Alejandro and a lot of other men were killed by soldiers. Also was an address of where she could pick up his body. Tears swelled up in my eyes even though I tried to stay calm and strong for Anna. I couldn’t control it though. I sat down on the ground and held her until Papa got home and read the letter. After a long time of crying we got Anna to calm down. Papa decided Anna and her daughter Julia could stay with us until the grieving time has past. I was told to stay up tonight for Mama. To tell her what happened. Everyone is in bed. The house is quiet. I hear someone walking up the porch steps now. Must be Mama.
Nayeli Vargez