Letters Home | Teen Ink

Letters Home

By Emily Garn BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
Emily Garn BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon

Dear Dad,

I made it to Miami. It is so pretty here. I really wish you would have come. Mom and I don’t know many people here, but everyone so far has been very nice. I think you would like it here.... well you would at least like it here more then in Cuba. The boat ride over here was not very good but it was worth it. I spent most of my time in the boat hanging over the side puking. I guess I get kind of seasick. When we got here it was beautiful. The sun was shining so bright. I feel like we have a new beginning here. I know you do not think that this was the right choice, but I just don’t think I would have been able to stand by my country anymore, even with the Castro in charge. It‘s going to take a long time for things to get better but, I hope for the best so that you are okay. I wish that our last year together was better.I finally started to think for myself but I was developing my own beliefs. When I started telling you what I thought about government and the revolution, you didn’t agree and then it was downhill from there. I am sorry we can’t agree but, I can’t change my beliefs. I will keep writing and I hope you will write me back. I don’t think that just because we have different opinions means that you can’t be my dad and I can’t be your son. No matter what I love you.

Love,

Diego

Dear Dad,
It has been two weeks since I last wrote. I haven’t gotten anything back from you. I hope you have just been really busy, and that you have not been ignoring me. The beaches here are really pretty. There are also lots of pretty girls here. I met this girl the other day. She was here from Poland. I loved her accent. She came to Miami to go to live with her dad. She was one of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen. We started talking, and now we have a date tomorrow night. I am really nervous. I wish you were here to give me some tips. I made this friend though and he is helping me out with the whole dating thing. Mom is even more nervous than me I think. She doesn’t want me to leave her for a girl. I told her I was not planning on doing that until I was in my twenties though. So how is Cuba? I heard that things are getting a little better. I try not to watch the news though. I wonder if they are getting the real story. We got a dog. I had always wanted one and now we have him. We named him Chiko. He is a little black wiener dog. You would like him. He has lots of energy but when he gets it all out he just wants to lay with you. Mom just called me down for dinner so I better go. I really hope you write me back this time. I would like to know what is going on there from someone I know is telling the real story. I love you.

Love

Diego

Dear Dad,

It has been two years since we moved here. I wrote you a lot but you never bothered to right back so I guess this is my last attempt at talking to you and saving whatever relationship we have left. I turned 17 yesterday. You have missed two of my birthdays now. I guess you don’t really care though. Broncia and I are are still doing good. We have been dating for about a year and a half now. We are pretty serious. She loves mom and mom loves her. I guess that is a good thing. You would probably like her to. I guess the reason I am still writing to you is because I have hope that you had a change of heart and maybe you wanted to know about my life. I knew you would have some sour feelings towards mom and I for leaving Cuba, but I didn’t know that you would never talk to us again. I guess when you just don’t care you just don’t. I will never do to my kids what you did to me. Even if they have different beliefs. I will do whatever I can to make sure they do what is best for them. I guess I should thank you for teaching me how not to be a father. I am happy to say that I am nothing like you and that I will actually be a GOOD father to my children. I don’t expect you to write me back nor do I want you to.

From

Diego