Marisol's Diary | Teen Ink

Marisol's Diary

By Kelsea96 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
Kelsea96 BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon

Hoy es ocho de mayo,
Dear diary,
Today is my 16th birthday. Not that it really maters, everyone is focused on the government. I don’t understand why, it’s stupid. I don’t care about any of it. Anyways, the only person in my entire family that remembered it was my birthday is David, my big brother. I think it’s sad that the one person that remembered that it’s my birthday is the one who isn’t at home. He sent me a letter, I love getting letters from David, I miss him so much. I can’t believe it’s already been 5 months. He is off fighting for what my parents believe, because they couldn’t stand having him do work here while there are soldiers fighting for the government.

Hoy es quince de junio,
Dear diary,
I’m so worried about David, the last letter I got from him was on the eighth, and that terrifies me. That’s more than a month ago! And I just heard about the Battle of Juárez, and no one knows who died during it. I asked my mother about it, and she argued with me about how I don’t send him enough letters. I told her that she has n right to talk to me about David. She hasn’t tried to talk to him since he left. And me, I send him a letter at least once a week to keep him up to date with what’s going on in our family. To often our letters have to do with the fighting that goes one with him gone.

Hoy es dos de julio,
Dear Diary,
My mom told me that David did make it out of the fight alive, but he’s injured. Could my parents be so stupid! Why would they send him to follow Francisco Madero! Does that guy even know what he’s doing?! I doubt he does, no politicians know what they are doing. But since David is hurt he gets to come home, and I’m so excited to see him. He’s super mad that he has to come home and leave the fighting up to all the other soldiers. Everyone in my family is excited to see him, well everyone but my dad. My dad is so disappointed in David; he thinks that it is all David’s fault! How in the world could my dad think that?! What is wrong with my family?!

Hoy es tres de octubre,
Dear diary,
It’s so nice to have David back. David doesn’t talk about what he saw when he was fighting; he said he doesn’t want to give me nightmares. He says he’s my big brother, he’s supposed to protect me. My dad still refuses to even look at David, and it’s been months since everything happened. David still has trouble getting around the house; I have to help him a lot. And that makes him mad. He’s always saying how “he’s supposed to be taking care of me, not the other way around” People are always telling him how he did such a good job and how they are proud to know someone that fought for our country. But he still thinks of himself as a failure.

Hoy es trece de Noviembre,
Dear diary,
Every person in this city is celebrating; even David. They have all been celebrating for almost a week now. I guess everyone is happy Madero finally got elected. To bad I think everything is going to get worse. But no one cares what a 16-year-old girl has to say about politics. I hope for everyone’s sake things do get better, everyone deserves better. David can finally walk without the help of other people. He’s so happy. Tomorrow is David’s twentieth Birthday, which means he is going to move out. I hate knowing that he’s leaving me here with our sisters and worst of all, our parents.