Life Behind The Color | Teen Ink

Life Behind The Color

February 11, 2012
By BraxtonLangstonChapman SILVER, Lexington, North Carolina
BraxtonLangstonChapman SILVER, Lexington, North Carolina
9 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dedication, Hard Work


Every morning my mom would say, "if a white asks you to do something you do it." I reply, "yes ma'am." she hands me my lunch. I walked to school; it was about a mile down the street. I lived in a small town and I was the only colored person in school. I wasn't a racist, but I would retaliate on any colorless person that crossed me. I was an aggressive person I didn't mind what my mother told me every morning. If you got in my way you'd be moved and that was my motto. Everyday I cam into homeroom to see my desk in the back of the room the right corner to be exact. I was unable to see the board and everyone in front of me made sure I would never be able to either. Most of my kind in the situation I was in would have quit right then and there, but I didn't. I was a straight A student. It began to get to my classmates that I was excelling in everything I committed myself to. It got to one of my teachers heads so much that she would grade my papers incorrectly on purpose. I still kept an A in that class even with her errors. I guess she thought it was suppose to get to me well it never did. I was an honest African; no American that's right I doubt I'd be here if my people weren't brought here. So I just consider myself African. This is my embark to being a successful Afro-American. I will right down every thing I do and say from now until my death.


The author's comments:
This is a snippet of the new novel I've begun to write. I would love feed back because right now I'm in a total writers block. It takes place in North-Carolina in the 60's. It's about an African-American named Donald Lynch. He has some troubles with his race and his decisions with girls, and religion.