UNFAIR LIFE | Teen Ink

UNFAIR LIFE

By chocolatechipcookies BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina
chocolatechipcookies BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina

Character List
Jane……………………………………………………………………………….Reporter
MaLu……………………………………………………………………………...Slave

SETTING
MALU HOSE

TIME
1:00 PM
JANE: How you do? I’m reporter Mrs. Jane. (Extending hand out)
MALU: (Shakes her hand) Hi, I’m MaLu, come in and take a seat.
JANE: (Takes a seat) Ok, so I’m just here today to ask you a few questions on how it was like to be a slave. Is that fine with you?

MALU: (Nods her head) Yes.
JANE: Okay, so my first question is how was it like to be a slave?
MALU: It was horrible and miserable. They treated us like we were animals. We would get beaten over every little small-thing. We would be spitted on everyday and be constantly reminded that we aren’t anything.

JANE: How bad were the beatings?
MALU: Bad enough that you could turn us purple and blue. Bad enough to where the scars will be on our body forever. Bad enough that people a thousand miles away could hear your cries and screams.

JANE: How did you feel when you were separated from your parent’s?
MALU: I was mad and angry at the world. You really can’t explain how it feels when a child is taken away from its’ mother.

JANE: How is it when you’re a little girl and you’re a slave?
MALU: It’s no fun; your child hood is taken away from you. You’re separated from the person who gave birth to you. The white man rapes you when ever he wants to and there’s nothing you can do about it. You have to cry yourself to sleep at night and you have night mares hunting you everyday. Everyday you have to tell yourself that better days are yet to come.

JANE: How hard was the work?
MALU: It was hard, very hard. You would have to work with your bare hands and bend over and pick cotton, the white man would be behind you yelling and screaming at you because he says you’re working to slow. You would be hot and sweaty and bugs would be all over you. The sun would be beaming down your back so badly that it would feel like your back was on fire. It was very miserable.

JANE: Did you ever get to reunite with any of your family?
MALU: No, and that’s the sad part about it. Once they separate you from your loves ones you will never get to see them again, never get to touch them and tell them that you love them (A tear fell from her eyes).

JANE: (Sympathy in her eyes) I’m sorry about that Ms. MaLU, and that was all the questions I had to ask you today, thanks for your time.

MALU: (whips tears away) No problem.