The Forgotten War | Teen Ink

The Forgotten War

By writer77 BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois
writer77 BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois

It was a dreary and wet day in New Orleans December 22, 1814. My hotheaded and tough commander Andrew Jackson nicknamed Old Hickory had just heard the news that all the British ships had wiped out all of our gunboat into oblivion.Simultaneously hearing that the British ships had landed eight miles away from here. Jackson ordered a handful of scouts to find the position of the enemy. A few hours later, they failed to report back. By that time, we assumed that they had died or captured.
Andrew Jackson launched a military assault on the British in the morning of December 23, 1814. At 7:30 a.m, a band of soldiers and I quietly crept towards the camp while the Carolina sails alongside on the Mississippi River. Then the Carolina fired her howitzer at the British. The troops and I charge head-on into the British army. Many of our men were untrained or inexperienced and most of them hardly ever used a gun. Some of our squad shot at our own soldiers due to lack of skills. Instantaneous and nimble, the adversary constructed a counter attack team that prevailed forcing us to retreat. I took a final glimpse of the camp before running back to the base. I estimated that there were at least 10,000 men if not more. “ How could we win when we only have 4,000!” I muttered to myself I felt like as helpless as a fish out of water, gasping for breath. However,Andrew Jackson would show me that with immense leadership and a little luck we can win any battle no matter the odds.

Red coat shot at our base with their cannons, taking the whole army by surprise and caused panic to spread everywhere. All seems to be affected except Old Hickory who is unfazed by the explosives and called all his men to return fire. Once the cannons were in action, the British artillery had no protection from the onslaught or any ammunition to press the attack, meeting a quick end. This victory gave me hope, hope that we Americans could win this battle to finish this war. A hope that all of our troops would need when facing an army of 10,000.
The British militia were marching their endless line of men, which did look intimidating. At the head of it all was commander Sir Edward Pakeham, leading his unconquerable army of red. “ Hold your ground men,” cried commander Jackson, “for we will not leave this place until we force the enemy back into the muddy swamps!” Slowly and steadily, the British advanced using all the men they had. “ Ready your guns men,” barked Jackson, “Wait for them to get within firing range!” As the commander prepared our men for battle, I noticed a few British ships trying to cross the wild Mississippi River to get to our ordnance. However, the swift currents washed the sea vessels aside. I could not help laughing at how foolish the gunboats looked like fighting the powerful stream created by the river. Suddenly, the whole line of our soldiers set up their arms blasting the British after Old Hickory shouts, “ Fire!” Instantly, New Orleans was filled with chaos and havoc. Enemy troops collapse, never rose again to see their family or their comrades any more. When the invaders reached our ramparts, they were abruptly disposed as a result of limited scaling ladders. Gibbs, the general of the left flank shortly crumpled into a lifeless heap. Yet, on the right side General Robert Reaning had gotten his troops over our ramparts. Though with nobody to support him, the British were moved back out of the barriers. Leaving our men to finish off the enemy and Reaning. Caught in the defenseless state of reloading, an enemy sharpshooter saw the opportunity and shot his musket. I staggered back, crashing onto the solid ground. Moments later, I lifted myself up from the bloodied earth. Severely wounded but not dead, I watched a hail of bullets place themselves in the British and their commander Pakeham. The great leader tottered and fell from his horse showing no signs of life. Alarmed and dismayed, the British dispersed.Feeling joyous and gleeful, I sprinted to my friend and companions as if I were a plane ready for takeoff.“The battle is won!” we all whooped and cheered for Andrew Jackson. Without him, there would be no great victory for America.
Every single American of all ages should honor the great war heroes like Andrew Jackson. It is because the heroes of 1812 stood up to the Britain and told them that America is an independent country and will not tolerate any harm done to its citizens. It is the heroes in the of 1812 that made America what it is today, a strong and thriving country. What the true question is not “Why should we honor the heroes in the war of 1812?”,but why shouldn’t we honor the heroes in the war of 1812? For a question like this there is simply no answer to portray the insurmountable braveness of our valiant men.

on Nov. 29 2011 at 10:00 am
Mortimer-Micheals-Jacob-Joyce GOLD, Edgar, Wisconsin

"And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, So baby don't feel my pain
Just smile back"-Eminem

It's always good to see that someone else remembers the importance of the War of 1812...