The National Battle Anthem | Teen Ink

The National Battle Anthem

By leftwriter17 BRONZE, El Paso, Texas
leftwriter17 BRONZE, El Paso, Texas

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things" -Katharine Graham
"He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom" -James Huneker

All I heard was the gunfire of muskets and the peal of cannons. The horses were screaming in surprise and terror because of all the noise being made. I was lucky, but the man next to me was not. The ball went right through his chest, I caught him before he hit the cold hard ground; I couldn’t leave him in his final minutes. He left this world quickly and painlessly. Twilight was rapidly approaching the battlefront, making it hard to discern American from British. The only light that was bright enough for us to see were the rocket’s red glare, the muskets gunfire, and the bombs bursting in air. But in midst of all this bloodshed, pain, and chaos; our flag was still there. The rampart I used to shield myself from the unrelenting British was soon annihilated, and I was sent flying. I hit the ground so hard my ears gave a ringing sound. I’m not sure what happened next, the battle went by so fast. It’s hard to believe that all this began over an attempt to free friends of America. What is in men that makes them battle over matters that are trivial compared to the simplicity of life? The British began retreating to their boats, but it felt like an eternity driving them back off shore, I risked life and limb for my country; I never could imagine that my country could demand so much one man. We eventually drove them off shore to their boats, but they would not leave without leaving something damaged. They had positioned their cannons in such a way that they could fire back at our fort while retreating, but we had more cannons positioned and left their entire fleet. We had won the battle, but our second war against the British was still not over.

I am currently running a Creative Writing Group at my high school and I needed to make an example for what we were doing in the group. The first thing that popped into my head was the National Anthem. Hope you enjoy it