Death Rush (Preview Version) | Teen Ink

Death Rush (Preview Version)

October 8, 2011
By Nobunaga BRONZE, Moab, Utah
Nobunaga BRONZE, Moab, Utah
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." -William Shakespeare, "Macbeth"


The year is 1849 and the Mexican-American War has just barely ended with the temporary capture of Mexico City. But for Thomas Smith and his six friends, there is no way to escape Sacramento, California to return to their homes in Virginia and South Carolina. All hope seems lost until they discover a cave with at least five thousand pounds worth of gold at just the entrance. It seems to be the beginning of a new era and brings hope to the men who all wish to see their wives and children once again as well as find warmth in all of them.

However, what they do not realize is that by taking the gold, they have disturbed a demon of ancient evil whose lust is purely for gold. It is angered because the men have not only taken its golden but divided what they have amongst themselves and have decided to send some to President Polk to begin the Gold Rush. Vowing vengeance on the soldiers of the U.S. Army, this demon cannot be killed by the power of the cross nor any weapon these soldiers presently possess in their hands. Almost all hope evaporates as the demon kills them one by one until Thomas receives good news.

Rumor has it that a shaman of a local Native tribe knows a way that they can destroy this demon. With guns rendered useless, faith in the Lord hardly more than an idea like Thomas had believed it to be, and swords hardly most than sticks on the flesh of this demon (that is, whenever they even have a chance to hack at it), does Thomas really have a choice besides the Shaman’s effective but dangerous offer? The stakes are high and Thomas’ decision will decide the course of events to come in late 1849 and early 1850.


The author's comments:
I am a tremendous fan of Stephen King and have started reading "The Shining". I am also a fan of history and enrolled in a concurrent enrollment (college) class on US history. So I thought about the two and I decided to create a historical fiction novel that was also horror. And so, you have this preview (with a novel hopefully on the way) called "Death Rush".