Cattle Car

They cram all of us in a cattle car. Their hands are rough with me and show no mercy. Bodies press against my own as the doors slam shut. All around is the stench of the sick, dying, dead. Occasionally someone cries out in the dark for a loved one. Low moans, stifled sobs and prayers to our God are heard. We don't know where they're taking us. We know it's another camp where we will work until we die or are set free. I can't remember how long I've been here. My back aches as I crouch to avoid the dead bodies around me. The fleas and lice bite away at my skin. I worry they will eat me until I'm only bones. Mama said to keep my faith in God. I wonder vaguely where she is or if she's even alive. I start to close my eyes but snap them open again. I'm afraid if I allow myself to sleep, I'll never wake. Papa said to live in hope that this will all be over soon. I'm not sure which is better; liberation or death- anything to get me away...

bltsoccerchick said...
Thank you so much! And I was going to add more to this piece but I thought the same thing. You can explain and describe and make people feel so much with just a little bit. Sometimes less is more; it leaves room for thought.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 3:11 am:
Wonderful descriptions. I think the length of the piece just makes it more powerful. Great job :)

lovetildeath said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:46 am:
In very few words you captured more than some do in a etire novel.Well done.

writer015This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 7:52 am:
Even though this was short, it was very well done! I like it a lot! It would be awesome if you did a longer artical with the same subject. Such a horrific time period, but it interests me to.