War Opinion Letter

My Dearest Darling Evelyn,

I love you so much. More than you can ever even begin to fathom. The day we said our vows was the happiest day of my life. Second only to the day your letter came telling me about the birth of our beautiful daughter Isabella. Seven pounds, eight ounces. I remember. Aren’t you proud of me for remembering? Please be proud, darling. No one is proud of me here. No one is proud of anyone fighting this pointless, pointless war.

Today I saw my first death. It was Adam. Yes, Adam from down the street. Adam from church. Amelia’s husband, Adam. He’s gone, Evelyn. He’s never coming back. God, he was so full of confidence. He thought he was going to be the last one standing. We all believed him too. Why wouldn’t we? He was always so strong. Even on the worst of days, he could find a reason to smile. I’m gonna miss him so much. How will the rest of the platoon get by without him? Why should I even bother going on, Evelyn? If Adam couldn’t make it through this war, none of us will. It’s over for me, baby. I’d rather die on my own terms than be brutally murdered by an enemy who doesn’t even understand why we’re here.

You see sweetheart, they told us at home that if we went into this war, we would come out heroes. They didn’t tell us that we would watch our friends and neighbors be blown to bits by hateful, wicked weapons of unimaginable force. They didn’t tell us that we wouldn’t be able to go home for our mothers’ funerals. No one said that we would be killing innocent people just because they lived in the same barely-habitable village as someone who might be Vietcong. No one told me that mothers would hand me their children strapped with bombs. Think about the look on a child’s face in that instant before the bomb goes off. Think of the desperation of the civilians. It makes me sick to my stomach. I can’t do it anymore, Evelyn. I’m not fighting for America anymore. I’m fighting for my sanity. Darling I haven’t slept in weeks and weeks. The dreams I have aren’t nightmares. They’re night terrors. I wake up screaming, sometimes sobbing, drenched in sweat that I can’t wash away because there’s no lake to bathe in nearby. All of my terrors are soaked in my skin. Even if I could wash them off, where would they go?

And after all that, no one is proud of us. I got a letter from a friend who went on R&R for a few days. He said he got spit on at the airport. Someone threw food at him and yelled obscenities at him. What kind of country do we live in? What kind of world is this, honey? I’ve killed people. There are people who have died; there are families who are in mourning because of a gun that I fired. I went through that mental torture for my ignorant, selfish country. I hope they’re happy. This is the end for me. Tell Isabella that I love her, and I wish I could’ve gotten to meet her. Don’t tell her about the horrors of war. Don’t let her ever find out. Protect my little princess no matter what.

Most importantly, Evelyn, please don’t ever doubt that you are and always were the love of my life. I don’t want to put you through the mental anguish that I’ve gone through when I get home. There’s a condition called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that would keep me from living a normal life after I got home. You have a brand new baby to take care of. You can’t be responsible for me too. I’ll be there looking down on you every single night. I’ll keep you and Bella out of harm’s way. But by the time you get this letter, it’ll be too late. The gun that my dad gave me on our first hunting trip is sitting right on my left. Remember? I had you send it to me because the ones that they gave us were so unreliable. America is also unreliable. But my dad’s gun was always there when I needed it. I love you darling, and I hope you and Isabella live a very happy and fulfilling life. I can’t wait to watch it from heaven.
All my love,
Michael

MonaLisaSmile said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 9:46 pm:
Oh my goodness. Gorgeous. I hope you got an A+++++++ on that English assignment! Love this. Adding to favorites right now.

. replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 11:22 pm :
i did ;) she said it was "haunting" but the assignment was only worth 24 points lol. thanks for reading :) glad you enjoyed itt!

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 4:26 pm:
wow, this is actually amazing. Its so realistic and heartbreakingly sad. But this is soooo good and honestly this should be in the magazine so i wish you all the best of luck on getting published!!! 5/5 :)

. replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm :
thanks so muchh! glad you enjoyed itt :)

RockGirl182This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm:

omg... *-speechless-* 

rated 5/5 :0 good luck on being published !

. replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm :
thank you so muuuchh!

MidnightFire said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 11:07 am:
Wow. that was writed so well. Its so sad and great (written wise) at the same time.  I hope it gets published :)

. replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 1:39 pm :
thanks! :)

DaylightDarkness said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:17 pm:
I think this basically summs it up... I was teary by the end, and I've only ever cried because of something I've read twice before in my life.

L. replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm :
im flatteredd :D thank you so much for readingg!

Delictious said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:27 am:
It was beautifully written, I really loved the line in the beginning : Aren’t you proud of me for remembering? When you were talking about how much the baby weighed. I could fell the sorrow and how much he wanted to know that baby. The whole piece was very sad, but very well written! Great job!

L. replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm :
thank youu!

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm:
this is sad. but awesome, very well written. my only suggestion is a better title, but i can understand that, lol i've been known to make awful titles :) keep up the nice work! 4 1/2 out of 5

Nicole L. replied...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 9:20 am :
oh definitely lol i hate making up titles. all of my titles are awful. im glad you enjoyed it though, thanks for reading :)

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm:
Awwwwww. This made me cry. I loved it so much, I'm favoriting it!!!! You're an absolutely AMAZING writer! The sentence fluency was wonderful and I loved how everything fit perfectly together. Great job!!!

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm :
thank you soooooo muchh! i really appreciate itt!

sophietle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 5:06 pm:
You have a very nice sentence fluency here, and the language is very smooth and controlled. Great job! On the other hand, the voice of the narrator sounds more like a stereotype (noble PTSD-stricken Vietnam soldier) than a real, unique person, Michael. I think you should tell us more about what makes him Michael, who he was outside of just a soldier, etc. Overall, it's a good piece, it could just use some improvement. Keep at it!

Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:11 pm :
thats a really good idea. a lot of people have been saying that todayy. thank you for readingg :) im glad you enjoyed itt!

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 4:30 pm:
My name is Isabella, too :D This was so sad, my heart dropped once I read that Michael wasn't going to live to be able to come home and Evelyn or Isabella. I couldn't stop myself from picturing his poor wife's face. Sooo sad!

Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:10 pm :
i was really hoping that this would have an emotional effect on people, i'm glad it touched you :) thanks for reading!