Hey Brother

I quake with relief, the adrenaline slowly fizzing out of my blood. I am free. Free from the whip, no longer feeling the bite against my flesh. Free from the plantation and it’s endless rows of bloodied cotton. Free from the dogs, their snapping jaws far from my heels. Free from the Master, his angry mocking words now ringing to the empty night. I have made it to the safehouse, and the search party has passed me by. I hear the agent descending the creaky stairs leading to the passage and I smile, almost finished with my carving. The light of her candle illuminates the small space and she whispers that it is time to run to the next “station” of the Underground Railroad. I nod and tuck away my knife, leaving a message carved in the rafter.

Hey Brother

Mystiecub said...

I liked this, though I was at first a little confused, I liked it :)

Also, I've seen the tv show you mentioned in the side note--the historical stuff they unveil is so cool, amirite? xD

OCDalexx said...
Really nice.... I really like this piece... I would suggest maybe add some more information I kinda wasnt entirely sure what was going on but thats just me... good work

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you. :)  This was just one of those thought bubble ideas - I'm not even sure what was going on, to be honest. xD

ChristySparrow replied...
Short, but sweet. I loved it. It was inspiring. I don't really have anything else to say. :D

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
great work  keep it up

Thanks to both of you :)

Gettysburg63 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great work at your use of descriptive words. It makes this piece stick out. Keep up the good work at your writing!