Hey Brother | Teen Ink

Hey Brother

By AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

I quake with relief, the adrenaline slowly fizzing out of my blood. I am free. Free from the whip, no longer feeling the bite against my flesh. Free from the plantation and it’s endless rows of bloodied cotton. Free from the dogs, their snapping jaws far from my heels. Free from the Master, his angry mocking words now ringing to the empty night. I have made it to the safehouse, and the search party has passed me by. I hear the agent descending the creaky stairs leading to the passage and I smile, almost finished with my carving. The light of her candle illuminates the small space and she whispers that it is time to run to the next “station” of the Underground Railroad. I nod and tuck away my knife, leaving a message carved in the rafter.

Hey Brother

I saw a commercial for American Pickers, and they were looking for antiques in a house that used to be part of the Underground Railroad. In the secret passage slaves used to use to escape "Hey Brother" was carved into one of the overhead boards (in the commercial I couldn't tell if it was a rafter or doorframe) and the writing inspired this piece.

TimeForCoffee BRONZE, Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
Short, but sweet. I loved it. It was inspiring. I don't really have anything else to say. :D

Mystiecub said...

I liked this, though I was at first a little confused, I liked it :)

Also, I've seen the tv show you mentioned in the side note--the historical stuff they unveil is so cool, amirite? xD

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thank you. :)  This was just one of those thought bubble ideas - I'm not even sure what was going on, to be honest. xD

AlexxxX GOLD said...
AlexxxX GOLD, Wichita, Kansas

\"A wise man makes more oppatunities then he finds\"

Really nice.... I really like this piece... I would suggest maybe add some more information I kinda wasnt entirely sure what was going on but thats just me... good work

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks to both of you :)

PJD17 SILVER said...
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

great work  keep it up

Gettysburg63 PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do... the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." -General George S. Patton

Great work at your use of descriptive words. It makes this piece stick out. Keep up the good work at your writing!