The War in Words | Teen Ink

The War in Words

January 12, 2011
By Anonymous

The following are a series of letters the Eileen and Jon exchanged while he was away at war. They were newly married couple and hoping to have a family soon. The first letter was about 3 months after he left home.


Jon Anderson
5/13/1942
Germany

Eileen-
It sure is bad here. It’s as bad as that place that my friend worked at. Remember the living conditions he had? And how awful everyone seemed? Are they saying about the camps we found? They are so bad, you could tell people and show them photographs, and they wouldn’t believe you. It’s getting pretty lonely over here, I have some buddies you know, but no wives are around. Bob, that guy I talked about disappeared. It’s so hard for some of em, you know? I wrote ma, and she is worried so please go over there tell I’m gonna be ok. Sometimes I wonder why we are doing this. To see my mom and you so worried, it’s awful. I’m really seeing evil over here. I realized that we need to defeat it so these horrible things don’t happen anymore. Hopefully I can sleep tonight with all the hissing of the animals out here. I don’t want to worry you too much, so until later kisses to the most wonderful wife that I miss so much.





-Jon



Eileen Anderson
7/1/1942
Chicago, Illinois

Dearest John-
I went to comfort your mother; I told her that you were going to be ok. She seemed better than last time. I hope you are doing well too. I miss you so much. Home just isn’t the same. I want to see you so we can start our family. Its will be so happy then. I hate working at the factory, but I must do it. There are some other women there that I’ve befriended, but they aren’t like my friends back home. I moved here for you but now you left I’ve got no one. This whole war seems pointless when I just want to have you here. Why do these things happen? It is the evil in the world that you said. On a different note, people over here are talking lots about the war. They say the other parts are getting pretty bad. I’ll tell you that some of the other wives around here are starting to become crazy. The neighbor, the pregnant one, told me that she was calling for her husband in her sleep after she had the baby. Every wife is getting pretty sad and lonely. I hope you can come back soon. I hope you stay safe.
Love, Eileen



Jon Anderson
8/5/1942

Hello dear, I can not write too much but I just wanted to tell you that I miss you and hope I get to come home soon. I’m afraid that we will soon have to a place with worse conditions, but we are going to hope for the best. I love you, and tell Mom too, because I might not be able to write for a while. Kisses to you- John

Department of the Army
1/9/1943

Mrs. Anderson
Chicago, IL

Dear Mrs. Anderson,

Our condolences to you as you lost you husband SPC. Jonathon Anderson on Dec. 13th, 1942. His death was a result of enemy actions in Italy. The loss of Jon is also a loss to our organization as he was an exemplary soldier. The message must bring much sorrow to you and I regret having to inform you. If new information exists on the death of SPC. Anderson, we will inform you. Our deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Sincerely yours,
The Department of the Army




Eileen’s husband, Jon died and she was left a widow with no children. She became reclusive because she didn’t know how to handle her extreme pain from losing the love of her life. She had a son, but she never married his father. She remained lonely for the rest of her life. This evil that was war ruined her life. She could never understand how the actions of Hitler and a few other people could ruin her life. Her life didn’t end up as she planned. She didn’t have her love be her side.

The author's comments:
I wrote this for my english class including the themes of "Of Mice and Men"