IRP Sold | Teen Ink

IRP Sold

December 13, 2010
By David15 BRONZE, Valparaiso, Indiana
David15 BRONZE, Valparaiso, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object


In Patricia McCormick's book Sold, thirteen year old Lakshmi leaves her home village in Nepal and goes into a city in India, to work as a maid. So she can help pay for her families new roof. She thinks she is going to a glamorous city to work for a wealthy family as a maid. But want she doesn't know is her stepfather arraigned for her to be sent to work for an evil woman named Mumtaz, and to work in the prostitution business. The story goes on about how her life is in the house, and how she misses her home. Lakshmi meets some new friends that teach her how to survive in the house. While in the house she meets a boy who helps her learn the language there, But he is soon thrown on the street because his mom is unable to work. She works as hard as she can to pay off her 20,000 rupee dept, but after Mumtaz cheats her she starts to think of ways to escape.









Patricia McCormick book Sold, won the national book award finalist. She has also written Cut, and My Brother's Keeper. This is an excellent book and was interesting to read. I highly recommend this book to any audience. The setting of the book is around the 1990's in a small Village in Nepal. Although the book is sad at times, Lakshmi finds tiny things that give her joy and give her the will to live. One thing Lakshmi keeps telling herself is, " I am Lakshmi, I am from Nepal, I am thirteen years old." To help her remind herself of who she is. This book is a fictional book, but based on true events. The author wrote this book to inform people about the young women who are held against their will in Nepal. This is a great book.