Colonial Christmas | Teen Ink

Colonial Christmas

By veronicatroi BRONZE, Batavia, Illinois
veronicatroi BRONZE, Batavia, Illinois

25th December, 1707

I’m very glad it’s the first day of Christmas. I can’t wait until the big ball on the twelfth day. That’s always my favorite part of the holidays. That, and getting my present! I suppose servants don’t also give gifts to their superiors because we don’t have any money or supplies to make anything for them anyway. Yesterday I put the wreath I decorated for the house on the door. It looks very nice, except it snowed a little bit this morning and it covers the red ribbon I made. I’m glad the Williams family is wealthy – that means the feast is always plentiful! They always let us servants have seconds on the desserts during Christmas. I suppose since I am sixteen this year that I will be allowed to attend all the Christmas services. I’m not sure I’m looking forward to the church service, though – I mean, of course I am a dedicated Roman Catholic, but the Christmas services are very long and the small church gets very stuffy very fast. I feel bad for the Puritan families who live down the road a few miles. I wonder if they feel like they’re missing out on all the fun because Puritans are banned from celebrating Christmas. Well, I would invite the children over if the Williams family would allow it, but I don’t think they would risk getting in trouble. Oh, I have to go prepare the ham for one of the feasts. Happy Christmas, journal!

Colonial America and Christmas are probably my two favorite things. Combining them just feels right! Visiting Colonial Williamsburg may have been the best experience I've had and I hope to visit again. I think this little bit of writing gives an informational insight to the Christmas customs of our country from the very beginning.

threetowon said...
Great article.  Fresh and very insightful on the life in colonial times.