Colonial Christmas | Teen Ink

Colonial Christmas

November 5, 2010
By veronicatroi BRONZE, Batavia, Illinois
veronicatroi BRONZE, Batavia, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

25th December, 1707

I’m very glad it’s the first day of Christmas. I can’t wait until the big ball on the twelfth day. That’s always my favorite part of the holidays. That, and getting my present! I suppose servants don’t also give gifts to their superiors because we don’t have any money or supplies to make anything for them anyway. Yesterday I put the wreath I decorated for the house on the door. It looks very nice, except it snowed a little bit this morning and it covers the red ribbon I made. I’m glad the Williams family is wealthy – that means the feast is always plentiful! They always let us servants have seconds on the desserts during Christmas. I suppose since I am sixteen this year that I will be allowed to attend all the Christmas services. I’m not sure I’m looking forward to the church service, though – I mean, of course I am a dedicated Roman Catholic, but the Christmas services are very long and the small church gets very stuffy very fast. I feel bad for the Puritan families who live down the road a few miles. I wonder if they feel like they’re missing out on all the fun because Puritans are banned from celebrating Christmas. Well, I would invite the children over if the Williams family would allow it, but I don’t think they would risk getting in trouble. Oh, I have to go prepare the ham for one of the feasts. Happy Christmas, journal!


The author's comments:
Colonial America and Christmas are probably my two favorite things. Combining them just feels right! Visiting Colonial Williamsburg may have been the best experience I've had and I hope to visit again. I think this little bit of writing gives an informational insight to the Christmas customs of our country from the very beginning.