Nancy Clutter's Diary Entry | Teen Ink

Nancy Clutter's Diary Entry

October 22, 2010
By alligatoraxe BRONZE, Quito, Other
alligatoraxe BRONZE, Quito, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Diary Entry








November 14, 1959

Dear Diary,

Today, Ms. Katz brought Jolene over, so she can bake a cherry pie with me, she was really excited.
We cooked it and then we ate it, Jolene was surprised. Then Susan called me, we talked on the kitchen phone about Bobby and Jerry, that conversation felt good. Bobby left a few minutes ago. He came to watch a few movies with us this evening; he was sweet, as always. He told me about this new invention that takes away body odor, deodorant. He seemed pretty excited. I will tell Kenyon about it tomorrow, so he can go and buy some for himself. Then I came up here, brushed my teeth, combed my hair, lied down on my bed and started to write and nothing much has happened since.
Oh! How I love to hear the trees whistling, but wait, I think I just heard someone open a door. I don’t think its Kenyon, because he does not dare to go out of his room after bedtime. I am starting to get scared. I hear them chatting, quietly, like as if they were planning something. I hear them coming up the stairs, it’s
definitely more than one person coming up. Now it’s silent. I suddenly hear the intruders tearing tape and taking out stuff, probably from a bag.
Who are these people? What are they coming here? I don’t know what to do.
I will open my curtains in case I have to jump out the window. Stay calm.
Everything is going to be alright, oh my! I just heard my mother scream, and a shotgun being pumped, oh dear, they are going to kill my mother, why?
My dear diary, they just killed my mother, I am deeply saddened.
I hear them coming out of the room, will they be gone, or will they come after the rest of us.
I don’t want poor Kenyon to be killed. But I have a feeling that they went into his room, but I haven’t heard anything strange going on, yet. I hear them opening his closet, maybe they are looking for something. I hear them coming out, like as if they were dragging something. It may be Kenyon. Please don’t kill him, he’s innocent. They possibly went down the stairs, no shots were heard. After a couple of minutes, I hear them coming back up. I am the only one left in this floor. I hear them coming towards my room, and turning the knob, I am nervous.
Who’s there! I dare to shout, and I see two men with ropes and tapes coming towards me.
NO! Please, I have not done anything bad! Please!
They tie me up to my bed and put tape on my mouth. They put me sideways, facing my lovely wall, which I may see for the last time. I faintly hear a shotgun pump, my fears are all over me, what will Bobby do?
My last few seconds of life.
And there goes the gun


BANG!


The author's comments:
While reading In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote, I felt inspired to write a diary entry as if I were Nancy Clutter on the day of her murder.