Dairy of a child slave

Dear diary, this is my first time writing in a journal. I think I should nave you to whom ever it may concern or TWEIMC. I am twelve years old living in West Africa in Nigeria. I gave three brothers and one sister and I am the oldest of all. I have heard many things about captives and how they will kidnap us for slavery. I didn’t believe anything they said, I just though that they were just saying that just to scare us off or something. Right now I am sitting on the chair just relaxing outside with my siblings

Dear TWEIMC, I can’t believe my eyes I have been kidnapped and taken away from my home and family. I would not believe that all these things that they told us kids were actually true. I couldn’t write yesterday because I didn’t want o be caught writing and let them take my journal. I have to go; I think I see one of them.

Dear TWEIMC, we were taken to a ship and I had to be mush with all these other Africans. Before I went to the bottom of the ship I looked around and I see these people with white faces that I have never seen before. At the bottom of the ship, I thought that is was so ridiculous because it was so crowded that I could barely breathe and there is the stench smell that really irritates me. TWEIMC, I would let you know that if I don’t write to you it means that I didn’t want to be caught writing.

Dear TWEIMC, these white colored men are so cruel. I see some who were thrown over board because they were not healthy enough. I see some who were whipped for not eating of something. It doesn’t make any sense to me at all. I felt so sick there and because I was sick I didn’t eat. They would force to eat and still wouldn’t eat so they beat me and I cried for the rest of the day.

Dear TWEIMC, I was sold to a family named the Goodwills. They ere nice and took care of me very well. I still have to do what they say, but it wasn’t that bad. Mr. and Mrs. Goodwill have two kids, named Alex and sharla. Alex is almost seven and sharla is my age but little taller. I would always say to myself “Alas, alas, I am free from heel”. The kids treated me right and the family took care of me like I was a part of their family.

Dear TWEIMC today is my birthday. I just turned thirteen. Today would be the fifth day since I moved to the Goodwills family. Even though today is my birthday I still don’t feel that happy because ever since I been in that ship I have not eaten much and I have been getting really sick because of the stench smell. Still now I don’t eat that much and now I have gotten very thin and really ill.

Dear TWEIMC, the Goodwills gave me a surprise birthday party. I wish I was not feeling so bad so I can enjoy what they have done for me more. While the family is enjoying themselves I was thinking to myself that I might even die right now and just let go because I am not strong anymore. I, I.......

cmcampbell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is good! I like the whole idea of it and you really captured events! Let go a little more in your writing! The reader wants to know exactly how the main character feels! You listed the events and said they were cruel but you never really said how the main character really felt about being torn away from her family and shoved in with hundreds of strangers fearing for your life. Try to really pull on the readers heart, make them really develope feelings for your character! Also, what does TWE... (more »)

Uniqueada replied...
Thanks for the comments and thanks for giving me writing advise. TWEIMC means To Whom ever it may concern, i wrote that at the begining. I know captives were not aloud to hide any possessions, but it was an assignment and the assignment was to imaging a slave having a journal and if they did, what would they write. Thank you once again and i will read your story too. :)

xxcmcxx This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
oohh right! ha! sorry I guess I had forgotten that you did say that! Well good job! :)

Uniqueada replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 10:59 am
lol thanks

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 4, 2010 at 1:40 am
Great story, but try to relax a bit more. Some sentences are a bit forced. It's a great idea though! 

Uniqueada replied...
Thank you :)