The Vignette of A Slave | Teen Ink

The Vignette of A Slave

By Jeff O&#39Brien BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey
Jeff O&#39Brien BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey

I am on a dirty ship it has rats and filth everywhere. It smells like someone died. My muscles are sore and I am cramped. I have trouble sleeping. There is no room to move. I hate it, I am sad and worn out. I wish I had never been captured.
The neighboring tribe came to my village saying they wanted peace. We let them in, but then they pulled out barrels that spat out pieces of metal that ripped through bodies as if they were paper. One of these metal pieces hit my wife in the heart and she is now dead. Also my children have been taken from.
I am alone and I have no idea where they are taking me. I am guessing to my death or they may use me for work, but like I said I have no idea. It is dark and the food is scarce. All the children on the ship are dead; the only living people on the ship are the crew, the rats, and all the men and women being held captive. But all the people being held captive are sick, myself included. I don’t know how long I have been on this ship, but it feels like eternity. Wait! The hatch is being opened, they say we have arrived. I emerge from the hole I was in and I finally realize my fate.

it was for an l.a. project, this is just one of five

on Jul. 13 2010 at 10:52 am
WhiteBear SILVER, Beckenham, Kent, Other

Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.

hey, I've written a story like this (it's actually in 3 parts: the capture, the ship and life on the plantation, but the last second part is still 'pending the editors')!! was this for a history project?