Poisoned This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Liberation they said as they walked through the aftermath, the evidence of our dual existence, our obvious conflict. It was difficult to witness their tender faces painted noble and uniforms of immortal heroism. They gathered some and set others aside and called us liberated.

And how am I liberated? While darkness still haunts my mind’s eye. The air I breathe, the world as I see, and everything in it is tainted with humanity’s ignorance to our plight, our suffering. They took us up in the masses, outwardly gregarious yet still coarse. We tromped through our dead, fallen kin and neighbor. And as we moved, I tried to rectify the last decade of my existence.

I closed my eyes against the outside watched the nightmares unfold. I remembered all I had seen. The distorted images of children face down in streets, of bodies broken and battered, of the smell and taste of flesh in the wind. The SS screamed in my head that I was a demon, my blood was a blemish in the sight of my own country. My friends and family were pushed together in cramped complexes, begging for water, food, and mercy. I signed a card on a train for my family of forced reassurance.

Would it be difficult to breathe in society? I could be like so many others, dogmatic in disbelief, denying such scrupulous evidence for false satisfaction. I might stand in the crowds and portray the illusion of gross disgust and deep sympathies. I could pretend to forget. But in doing so, would I not be what the nations had acclaimed for years?

Would I not be a poison?

Would I not be a poison to my fallen, a poison to the truth and the very history of man? Would I not be the virus of plaguing ignorance? The very thing I despised in this world. I would only become the representation of the uniforms’ words.

I looked into the sky and saw the ash that shaded the sunlight. The warmth that once seemed so tenuous, now my spirit longed for dried and withered. And still they carried me as a shell of my prior identity and still they screamed that I was liberated. Tenacious soldiers pushed us to our freedom.

My freedom.

As I watched the last of us alive being filed in a most civil fashion, I was reminded that though I was alive, I had already died in this place. The rationalism I had once understood, my observations, the general familiarity I’d loved, now corrupted by the abundance of failing will-power. My training and discipline were now a decaying memory. Insignificant.

I was no longer who I had once been.

I was no longer who I once knew.

I was an empty vessel.

And for the first time in my years of imprisonment and slavery, in my time of fighting to survive, and justify; I felt weak and vulnerable. I felt as though I couldn’t survive, that I would fall and never open my eyes again.

I felt like a poison.

katie-cat said...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 11:34 am:
This was very good and descriptive.  I really felt like I was there.  I especially loved the line where he's talking about even though he's alive he'd already died in that place.  That was perfect.  Sometimes there are those lines that just give you chills.  When I'm rereading something of mine that I wrote, there's always that one line that I absolutely love, and always have a soft spot for.  You really nailed this piece.  It was beautiful.

Kandabear replied...
May 4, 2010 at 4:13 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad to hear I was properly able to transfer the emotion I wanted to depict in my writing. It means a lot thank you. =)

thescientistyellow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 11:56 am:
Gotta say I was very impressed about the language in this piece...Very well written altogether...

Kandabear replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 5:24 pm :
Thank you so much. A kind and encouraging word is always wanted here.

lovelyworld said...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 8:46 am:
oh, this was super good. i liked the whole theme. it was really great.

Kandabear replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 5:24 pm :
Thank you. It's actually a piece of a novel I hope to write, Lord willing.

ZAVERY said...

Wow! This is great! Um, I read your reply to my thread, and I just want to know, what type of story idea do you want?

EXTREMELY random ideas:

-If you write poetry, then perhaps the point of view from the grave

-Maybe the point of view from a type of person that is important in history

You might like to write poetry from points of views like me, so these are a few ideas to pump your brain a bit. Hope this was 20% useful!  [... (more »)

Kandabear replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 5:26 pm :
Wow! Haha. First, thank you for the comment. Second, it doesn't matter really. A few random words to enchance my creative writing would be great thanks.

Chickadee said...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 10:33 am:
Oh my goodness! That is really good!

Kandabear replied...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 11:39 am :
Thank you =) Encouragement is always a blessing.

SandyC said...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 7:25 am:
wow...wat an amazing piece....i luved yur discriptions...keep writing..yur 2 good not 2 :)

Kandabear replied...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 11:39 am :
Haha. Thanks so much! It means a lot have a bit of feedback =]

SistineSnapple said...
This is really good I liked it :) - *wc kind of ify

Kandabear replied...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 7:12 am :
Oh thank you so much for the feedback. I'm very grateful =]