Poisoned This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Liberation they said as they walked through the aftermath, the evidence of our dual existence, our obvious conflict. It was difficult to witness their tender faces painted noble and uniforms of immortal heroism. They gathered some and set others aside and called us liberated.

And how am I liberated? While darkness still haunts my mind’s eye. The air I breathe, the world as I see, and everything in it is tainted with humanity’s ignorance to our plight, our suffering. They took us up in the masses, outwardly gregarious yet still coarse. We tromped through our dead, fallen kin and neighbor. And as we moved, I tried to rectify the last decade of my existence.

I closed my eyes against the outside watched the nightmares unfold. I remembered all I had seen. The distorted images of children face down in streets, of bodies broken and battered, of the smell and taste of flesh in the wind. The SS screamed in my head that I was a demon, my blood was a blemish in the sight of my own country. My friends and family were pushed together in cramped complexes, begging for water, food, and mercy. I signed a card on a train for my family of forced reassurance.

Would it be difficult to breathe in society? I could be like so many others, dogmatic in disbelief, denying such scrupulous evidence for false satisfaction. I might stand in the crowds and portray the illusion of gross disgust and deep sympathies. I could pretend to forget. But in doing so, would I not be what the nations had acclaimed for years?

Would I not be a poison?

Would I not be a poison to my fallen, a poison to the truth and the very history of man? Would I not be the virus of plaguing ignorance? The very thing I despised in this world. I would only become the representation of the uniforms’ words.

I looked into the sky and saw the ash that shaded the sunlight. The warmth that once seemed so tenuous, now my spirit longed for dried and withered. And still they carried me as a shell of my prior identity and still they screamed that I was liberated. Tenacious soldiers pushed us to our freedom.

My freedom.

As I watched the last of us alive being filed in a most civil fashion, I was reminded that though I was alive, I had already died in this place. The rationalism I had once understood, my observations, the general familiarity I’d loved, now corrupted by the abundance of failing will-power. My training and discipline were now a decaying memory. Insignificant.

I was no longer who I had once been.

I was no longer who I once knew.

I was an empty vessel.

And for the first time in my years of imprisonment and slavery, in my time of fighting to survive, and justify; I felt weak and vulnerable. I felt as though I couldn’t survive, that I would fall and never open my eyes again.

I felt like a poison.

Kattybynature said...
May 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm:

yOu ArE aMaZiNg <3

EPIC WORK

There needs to be a sequel! BEASTIESSSS

Kandabear replied...
May 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm :
Hahaha! Thank you =D

Kandabear replied...
May 20, 2010 at 7:33 am :
Beastiesssss? Really lol??

KaosStar said...
May 4, 2010 at 4:20 pm:
Wow! I LOVE IT! You need to write more... NOW! =P

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:40 am :
Jordan! haha Thank you!

Britt'sMom said...
May 4, 2010 at 4:18 pm:
This was an amazingly emotional and heart pounding read! Great talent! Keep up the good work!

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:41 am :
Haha. Thanks Britts Mom. That's kind of you.

sunnyhunnyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 4, 2010 at 2:59 pm:
Oh my gosh.  Amazing.  You take this much further than the expected joy at being liberated.  This is so real and honest and is probably how many Jews felt after they were freed.  How could they ever live a normal life?  How could they live with their past haunting them?  This really made me think.  Nice job.

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:38 am :
haha. I'm glad you enjoyed my piece. I'm always have to have impressed a good reader. =]

christianjedi said...
May 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm:

Wow.  Extremely well-written.  You have talent. 

There are a few sentences that don't read quite clearly; I think you either skipped a word, or tried to combine too many phrases/clauses without the right punctuation.

You are a very descriptive writer; well done!  I was drawn into the story and kept there.  Persevere!

Kandabear replied...
May 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm :
Thank you for the encouragement =)

Shavonne J. said...
May 3, 2010 at 9:12 am:
I totally know the author of this =3 I love you girly <3 And this piece is amazing thank you for writing it! So emotional. It really took me to a new world.

Kandabear replied...
May 4, 2010 at 4:10 pm :
bahaha. thanks sweetie. im thankful. im glad to see my writing is enjoyed! =3 The encouragement is incredible.

MetalChickRock said...
May 2, 2010 at 8:26 pm:
Great use of vocabulary. It was very descriptive too. My favorite part was "I looked into the sky and saw the ash that shaded the sunlight." Like I said before, very good with description.

Kandabear replied...
May 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm :
Thank you I love slipping in somewhat poetic verses into my fiction. I love those lines that touch your heart strings. lol

--LoveHappens-- said...
May 2, 2010 at 7:20 pm:
Wow I really loved that. The description was so vivid and I could feel the emotion you were conveying. Great job and please take a look at some of my work and leave a comment on The Pretty One tahnks so much!!!!!

Kandabear replied...
May 4, 2010 at 4:12 pm :
Thank you for the praise and encouragement. And I'll be more than happy to read your work. =)

thepreechyteenagerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm:
Great.  Loved the vocabulary, really descriptive.  The only thing I could say about this is that it seemed like you were using more and bigger vocab in the beggining than in the end.  I think it sort of makes the piece a little lop-sided.  I'm not one to talk though- I do that a lot too.

Kandabear replied...
May 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm :
No worries. I deff agree with you. I kind of dropped with the vocabulary as I got further along. That happens to me a lot. But I hope you enjoyed the over all piece.

A_Dreamer said...
May 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm:

Very good diction!

It was amazing, it sounded sooo sad though!

Kandabear replied...
May 2, 2010 at 3:17 pm :
Haha. Well thank you. I want the emotion of my work to get across to my readers.