Poisoned This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Liberation they said as they walked through the aftermath, the evidence of our dual existence, our obvious conflict. It was difficult to witness their tender faces painted noble and uniforms of immortal heroism. They gathered some and set others aside and called us liberated.

And how am I liberated? While darkness still haunts my mind’s eye. The air I breathe, the world as I see, and everything in it is tainted with humanity’s ignorance to our plight, our suffering. They took us up in the masses, outwardly gregarious yet still coarse. We tromped through our dead, fallen kin and neighbor. And as we moved, I tried to rectify the last decade of my existence.

I closed my eyes against the outside watched the nightmares unfold. I remembered all I had seen. The distorted images of children face down in streets, of bodies broken and battered, of the smell and taste of flesh in the wind. The SS screamed in my head that I was a demon, my blood was a blemish in the sight of my own country. My friends and family were pushed together in cramped complexes, begging for water, food, and mercy. I signed a card on a train for my family of forced reassurance.

Would it be difficult to breathe in society? I could be like so many others, dogmatic in disbelief, denying such scrupulous evidence for false satisfaction. I might stand in the crowds and portray the illusion of gross disgust and deep sympathies. I could pretend to forget. But in doing so, would I not be what the nations had acclaimed for years?

Would I not be a poison?

Would I not be a poison to my fallen, a poison to the truth and the very history of man? Would I not be the virus of plaguing ignorance? The very thing I despised in this world. I would only become the representation of the uniforms’ words.

I looked into the sky and saw the ash that shaded the sunlight. The warmth that once seemed so tenuous, now my spirit longed for dried and withered. And still they carried me as a shell of my prior identity and still they screamed that I was liberated. Tenacious soldiers pushed us to our freedom.

My freedom.

As I watched the last of us alive being filed in a most civil fashion, I was reminded that though I was alive, I had already died in this place. The rationalism I had once understood, my observations, the general familiarity I’d loved, now corrupted by the abundance of failing will-power. My training and discipline were now a decaying memory. Insignificant.

I was no longer who I had once been.

I was no longer who I once knew.

I was an empty vessel.

And for the first time in my years of imprisonment and slavery, in my time of fighting to survive, and justify; I felt weak and vulnerable. I felt as though I couldn’t survive, that I would fall and never open my eyes again.

I felt like a poison.

SarahBelle535 said...
May 16, 2010 at 8:28 am:
Wow girl. This is very deep. I like it. Good short piece. Knowledge. Tight fitted wording. A little heavy on one side but still. great work.

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:36 am :
Thank you for the encouragement and kind reply. =)

SarahB535 replied...
May 20, 2010 at 7:37 am :
Anytime, you did a great job... I'm kind of annoyed with the number one resulting historical fiction. He's cheating.. You're work is worthy of that spot.

Kandabear replied...
May 20, 2010 at 7:44 am :
Thank you Sarah. But Im not worried too much about it. lol. I'll get my chance again =)

SarahB535 replied...
May 20, 2010 at 7:49 am :
Well, you're a talented writer. You'll get back to the top! The good one's prevail!

Kandabear replied...
May 21, 2010 at 1:00 am :
Well, thank you. I'm at the top for now? I wonder what happened?? oh well. yay!

WordingWarrior said...
May 8, 2010 at 10:34 pm:
This is beautiful. Stunning illusion and emotional connection. Keep up the good work.

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:37 am :
haha. Thanks wordwarrior. =)

AprilBlue said...
May 8, 2010 at 5:54 pm:
 completley agree with Hyp0. This is very good and I really liked the wording. Sorry it took me so long :)

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:36 am :
Thank you for your kindness. =)

hyp0allergenic said...
May 7, 2010 at 7:22 pm:

Wow, that was beautiful. Great concept, and AMAZING word precision.

A lot of times when people attempt expanded vocabulary, the piece ends up scattered and focusing more on the vocabulary than the actual point being conveyed. You do an excellent job and defying that line, and letting the language work for you, rather than the other way around.

Great job. You should feel really proud. :)

Kandabear replied...
May 7, 2010 at 7:42 pm :
Wow. Thank you so much for the encouragement. Im glad that you enjoyed it and that the vocabulary didn't overpower the actual piece. Really Im so grateful. =)

Jade<3Josh said...
May 5, 2010 at 2:11 pm:
Good work. The vocabulary is kind of heavy on one side. But still good job. I look forward to more work.

Kandabear replied...
May 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm :
Thank you very much.

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:42 am :
Yeah I know its a little heavy lol. That's something I'm always working on lol.

KaylaY said...
May 5, 2010 at 5:38 am:
This was amazing. Good job. I love the elevated vocabulary! Good job <3

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:40 am :
Thanks Kayla.

luv_icecream said...
May 5, 2010 at 5:24 am:
I really like this!! It's awesome!! :D

Kandabear replied...
May 16, 2010 at 8:36 am :
Hahaha. Thank you so much!

Kattybynature said...
May 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm:

yOu ArE aMaZiNg <3

EPIC WORK

There needs to be a sequel! BEASTIESSSS