An Aztec's Enemy's Last Thoughts

This is why I didn’t want to fight the Aztecs, this is why I had wanted to run away and never touch a sword or shield again, and this is why I should have taken my own life on the battlefield. But my stubborn Huastec pride stood in the way of all the easy options I could have taken.

The other captives and I walked up the cursed steps, the rough stone cutting our feet, the sun burning our bare backs into blisters. I once would have complained about the pain, but now they just seemed like a mere annoyance. What I had just learned of what was to come made Death itself seem like a sweet dream.

“Where are they taking us?” I had asked a broad shouldered man who I had fought next to.

“To the stone table,” the warrior said with deep set eyes, “where they will hold us down and rip out our hearts to offer to their blood thirsty gods. Where our bodies will carelessly be thrown down the pyramid like a rotten sack of rice and our flesh cooked to fill our royal murders stomachs.”

I couldn’t believe this man as I stared into his dark eyes, desperately searching for a glint of humor. But there was no need to ask if he was serious, because once we had reached the top, rough calloused hands grabbed my shoulders. And at that moment I knew my life was over. That dying in battle no longer looked terrifying but like a little ray of sunshine. They pushed me with their dirty hands so my back was plastered to the cold, black, unforgiving rock.

I now wished I died in battle, at least there I wouldn’t please their unworthy gods or satisfy these devils’ hunger. I stared into my murders eyes and wished ill and pain to who ever tasted my blood.

m1441 said...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:42 am
I think this story is quite good, but as others have said before me there are a few tiny grammar errors. Even though a great story.

claire126 said...
hey eleanna, nice work on this one (: and daisies123 is right, this does remind me of the movie apocalypto. it's one of my favs, i've seen it like 20 times, and there's on aztec sacrifice scene that a lot like this. the director should hire you to write a sequel! ;D

Eleanna23 replied...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 9:08 am
awww thanks claire :)I should watch Apocalypto and then send then my script for a sequel ;p

Daisies123 said...
Very original, it reminded me somewhat of the movie Apocalypto,  maybe its just me. Idk. But Good job:)

Eleanna23 replied...
May 2, 2010 at 8:48 am
Really? I've never seen that movie before, is it good?And thank you so much for commenting :)

NormandyNomad said...
I loved the historical background that integrated this story, keep writing! However, there were a few grammatical mistakes like, "murders eyes" instead of (I hope) "murderers eyes." But, that was just a small slight, this was one of my favorite stories.

Eleanna23 replied...
May 2, 2010 at 8:47 am
haha thank you NormandyNomad, I can never catch those little grammar mistakes:)