Twin Towers | Teen Ink

Twin Towers

By afilman PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
afilman PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

The bags are packed-they smell of clean laundry. Another business trip. Another state. The sun has yet to rise over the roof of the house, regardless he’s off again. The girls beg, “Daddy don’t go”. But he kisses their forehead and wraps his fingers around the soft leather of his suit case.
A piece of toast. A cup of coffee. A half glance in my direction and the door slams. I mask my tears with a smile. With a wave. In a couple years we will be happy again…just give him a couple of years. Am I a single mother? No, although many disagree. A soccer game he has yet to see. And to make time for a date with me is only something I can conjure up in a dream.
I track his flight like I’ve done so many times before. The girls awake, I pack up their back packs, fix them breakfast, and send them on their ways. Past the kitchen window the yellow bus rolls.
Alone again-the floor boards creak and my soul dies a little with each breath. Ring Ring goes the phone. My heart jumps and my fingers twitch as they wrap around the receiver. Through the phone a voice whispers…” The towers are burning, the towers are burning.”

FussyCashew BRONZE, Pickerington, Ohio

"I hold the line,
as if a soilder,
I will not stop,
I will not rest,
untill I've done my very best."

It was good! But, the story was too short. It could have been dragged out more. And I don't understand the ending. Was she happy that he wasn't in there yet? Or was he? In the small time frame you set up, I find it hard for him to be at the twin towers already. You could have had this call recived in the morning, and the story would have been better. But still, good job!