JONATHAN'S WAR | Teen Ink

JONATHAN'S WAR

By anotherlonelyburden BRONZE, Grand Ridge, Illinois
anotherlonelyburden BRONZE, Grand Ridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

there was a tall man from cornwall
whos length exceeded his bed
my body fits on it
but barely upon it
there is no room for my big cornish head
my body fi

CHAPTER 1- GOBLET CUP
“Jonathan,” my mother called out. “Where are you?”
“I’m in the attic mom” I replied. “Ill be right down.” I had been rummaging through my ancestor’s belongings. A great history has happened in my family. My great great grandfather had fought in the civil war. He was an excellent cannoneer. My grandmother was a nurse at Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941. She was always good at helping soldiers in any condition they were in. “Hey mom,” I called out. “Where is the bookshelf?”
“It should be behind the cloths line. Why are you looking through there?”
“I was looking for something to do while you and dad were away”. My mom and dad were headed to Chicago on a business trip. My dad was a CEO of Sony company inc. “Do you know if there are any books in there I would like?”
“I don’t know. I think it’s filled with Shakespeare books. I think you would be interested is some of them.”
I had always loved to listen to Shakespeare stories. I could listen to his dialogue all day. One of my favorite stories had been Romeo and Juliet. I searched through the books and took out Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and Richard III. I headed downstairs to go sit on the couch. I was a 15-year-old child who was often home alone. But it never bothered me.
“So are you sure you are going to be okay? We are going to be away for about 3 days. And you know that Aunt Sylvia is right across the street if you need to go over there.”
“Thanks mom, I’ll know what to do. So when are you leaving?”

“We should be gone around 6:30 honey. And feel free to go visit your friends anytime if it’s ok with them. So are you sure those books will keep you busy?”

“Yeah mom, you know how much I like Shakespeare. I doubt I will be going to sleep tonight because I’ll be up reading all night.” I immediately sat down on the couch and opened up Romeo and Juliet.
Two households, both alike in dignity, in Fair Verona, where we lay our scene, from ancient grudge break to new mutiny, where civil blood make civil hands unclean. From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, a pair of star cross’d lovers, take their life; whose misadventured piteous overthrows, doth with their death, bury their parent’s strife. The fearful passage of their death-mark’d love, and the continuance of their parents rage, which but their children’s end, nought could remove, is now the two hours traffic of our stage; the which of you with patient ears attend, what here shall miss our toil shall strive to mend.

~~~~~~

I woke up around 7:45 to realize my parents were gone. Realizing I hadn’t planed on I could do. I picked up my phone and dialed my friend Steve’s number. I hoped he would be able to come over so I would have something to do.
“Hey Steve, do you want to come over and watch a movie? My parents are away for three days and I was planning on inviting some more of the guys to come over.” There was a long silence while I waited for him to respond. His voice then came to my phone.
“Oh sorry I was asking my parents. I could come over. When are they going to be here? What movie are we watching?”
“I have a whole shelf of movies. I was planning on letting you guys decide. You guys can come over right now. Do me a favor and tell Jared and Mat to come over. I’ll see you here in a few minutes.”
“Ok, so where are your parents? Why would they leave for three days?”
“Well, they had to have a business trip in Chicago. It’s alright. My aunt is down the street, I’ll see you later.”
I didn’t think they would just want to watch a movie. I got out a bag of chips for each of us, some pretzels, and a few cans of Pepsi. “I guess I hadn’t put a lot of thought into this.” Noon had struck, and I heard a knock at the door. When I opened it, all the guys had been there. “Hi, come on in. I’m going to let you choose a movie. Follow me upstairs.”
“So, where are we watching it,” Mat asked
“Right up here,” I replied. “I have soda and snacks set out for you.” When we had arrived upstairs, I showed them to the shelf. “Lord of the rings,” Jared suggested.
“Nah, I saw it yesterday,” I cut in. “How about Pearl Harbor?”
“What’s that,” Mat had asked. “I haven’t heard of it.”
“It’s supposed to be a World War 11 movie. I haven’t seen anything up here. It’s about the attack on Pearl Harbor. You guys want to watch it?” they exchanged expressions and all shrugged.
“I guess we could give it a try,” Jared said.
“Hey Jonathan,” Mat yelled. “What’s this on your desk?”
I walked over there with Steve and Mat only to stair with confusion at a glowing cup. It was literally glowing and spewing smoke. In addition to wondering what the hell this was, I couldn’t take the stunned expression of my face.
None of us had ever seen anything like it. When I reached out to touch it, I felt a sudden disturbance in the air around me. At that moment, a breeze swept through us all.
“Jonathan!” Mat cried. “What are you doing?”
I pulled my hand back immediately. Somehow I hadn’t been able to move when the breeze went by. Still not knowing and curious as to what happened, I reached out once more.

“No! Don’t do it again. Are you out of your mind?”

At that moment I was taking the fact that I might be into concideration. I saw a window break and the house had somehow started shaking. But it was all over now.

this is only the first chapter and i am currently working on the book. I think you will find it amusing