Story of the Stars | Teen Ink

Story of the Stars

February 27, 2010
By LYLAF BRONZE, Ascot, Other
LYLAF BRONZE, Ascot, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.


Once, when the Creation Bird was still new, there were no stars in the sky.
Every night, when the sun went to sleep, there was nothing to hold up the sky. It crashed down to Earth, crushing everything but the strongest trees, under which the frightned People hid.
"This can not go on every night!" declared the Chief.
"I can hold the sky up at night!" boasted a strong man named Two Lights. "I will be a hero." So that night, all hid under the strongest trees but Two Lights, who confidently stood to hold the sky. "That will not work," he admited meekly, running under the trees. "It is too heavy!"
"This can not go on every night!" declared the Cheif.
"I can scare the sky!" roared a fierce man named Running Dog. "It will be too frightned to fall on us. I will be a hero!" So that night, everyone stood under the strongest trees but Running Dog, who raised his head and roared at the sky. "That will not work," he admited meekly, running under the trees. "It is too brave!"
"This can not go on every night!" declared the Chief.
A clever woman named Flowers Blooming sat in her teepee at sunset, pinning a blanket to dry on her teepee wall. "The sky is like this blanket!" she exclaimed. "It sags in the middle." She stuck a pin in the middle to hold it up. "That is what we will do!"
She ran outside. "Everyone!" she yelled. "Shoot the sky with arrows!" No one listned to her. "It will pin the sky up!" All laughed. "Look." She shot an arrow straight up.
"Did it stick?" someone asked.
"Set the arrow heads alight. Then we will see if they stick."
All set their arrow heads in the fire and shot the sky. "They stick!"
All shot the sky with their arrows, making pictures they called constilations with their flaming star arrows. They made an image of a woman shooting a bow to comemerate Flowers Blooming's cleverness.

And that is the story of how stars and constilations came to be.


The author's comments:
This is in the style of a Native American folk tale; the Creation Bird is kind of like God. It just randomly occured to me that it would look like the sky was a LOT closer if there were no stars. So I just kind of wrote about it.