Darling, Depression!

Portland, Oregon

Dear Aunt Margo,

It has now been nearly four long years. The Great Depression. Corrupted stocks in the market, all the crashing. Yet, me and my family have survived. Ever since you returned to Europe a decade ago, me and Ma and Pa and Luke have been getting by. It’s difficult. I caught one of Luke’s friends outside throwing stones to eat birds for dinner last night. But the focus of my letter is not about the Great Depression. Instead, the focus is events that happen during it.

Because none of the kids attend high school anymore, we are left at home all day. If we don’t help our parents and family, then we are busy trying to fix things in the house. It made me feel so despondent when I realized that our mother had to cut the eggs and bread up into three just to make it look like we have more than we do.

Here’s a quick bit from the past: When I was nine years old and in fourth grade, just one year before the Depression hit, I told you, “Good luck in Europe, Aunt Margo! I can’t promise my future will be any better. As a matter of fact, I’ll most likely turn into quite the devil.” I don’t want to say, but a month after I said that, I was punished at school for staring out the window and again several times for “being overly talkative” to Michelle Ford.

Yesterday, Jacob came over. Yes, Jacob Massoli – the neighbor boy who always wore the funny hat and overalls? It would be easier if I lied to you and said that, no, me and him did not do anything. But Jacob was talking to me, and suddenly he and I ended up making out on the sofa. It is true what they say: teenagers are bad and rebellious, lacking discipline and caution when they are not being watched.

Jacob leaned in and kissed me. Right then and there. It was absolutely dreadful and one of the most random moments I have experienced in my lifetime! I didn’t even know him, I thought. I don’t. This was not me. It wasn’t. The large green lamp on the small wooden table next to the sofa appeared to be staring at me. Reaching out, it was questioning each and every single one of my motives. How could I be doing this? You are asking a good question, lamp.

Afterwards, he spoke. He said that he wanted me to follow him to the tree house and then the movie theater on Friday night. We all know where this leads to! I accepted the offer, knowing that I’d have to dress and act the part. But what would he introduce me as? Hopefully not Jacob Massoli’s girlfriend if we’re not on such good terms with each other! “It’s the best of times. It’s the worst of times.” Jacob remarked, stubbing his cigarette in the sand. What’s that? Smoking in an international financial crisis? You’re on!

Loving and appreciating,
Molly Mortimer

notebookgirl said...
I liked it, but I would have liked it more if you'd have used language of the 1930's. For instance things like random, me and him, or you're on weren't usually said, especially by the girls. Other than that it was very good

Esther L. replied...
I wrote this for my senior English class and so it might not of been "creative writing" tweaked the way I wanted it to. I didn't bother to revise it, and I don't really know how people talked in USA before 1960s.