The Secret Life of Bees | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of Bees

January 25, 2010
By OGirl BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, New York
OGirl BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I read the book The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd. The genre is African American Literature and the copyright date is 2002.


The Secret Life of Bees was a good book, I would recommend this book to Middle school students. Different groups of people would enjoy this novel also. People learning about segregation would learn facts in this story. Someone who is interested in history would learn facts in this story. I recommend this book to women. Another group of people I recommend this book to are African Americans. Those are the types of people I recommend this book too.

There are numerous explanations why I recommend The Secret Life of Bees. I recommend this book to African Americans because the story is about three African Americans who except a white girl and a servant into their home. If anyone wants to learn more about segregation would savor this book because the book goes into detail what segregation was like in the South. This book would be a good choice for someone interested in history because it gives facts that happened at that time. Women would enjoy The Secret Life of Bees because it’s about 5 women that create a unique bond. Middle school students would like this novel because it teaches you about individuality, to love others, and friendship. Those are the reasons why I recommend this book.

The Secret Life of Bees was a great book that I’d highly recommend I enjoyed it and I think many other people will too! So please read this book!