losing the war | Teen Ink

losing the war

By Olipomazi BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
Olipomazi BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont

losing the war

If you were to be in the majestic St. Stephens Basilica on the sixth of 1956 at eleven thirty, you would have witnessed a meeting of what would look like businessmen. You would be standing outside the door to the large room where a similar meeting would be taking place to the meetings that preceded it. In fact, the only things that would be different would be the words that came out of the businessmen’s mouths, and that it would be the last meeting at the Basilica that was of such importance, at least to the Soviet Union. Yes, to the Soviet Union and one other person. A Man that did not consider himself part of these meetings, the job he was doing, or even the Union it’s self. This man was Hungarian, and, if you were one of the few he trusted, you would also know that he was quite “fed up” with the whole Soviet invasion. The man’s name is Joseph Lajos. And he is a double agent.

Joseph Lajos is assigned to the newly married couple, the Nedermeyer family of Germans, who moved to Hungary only two years prior. He was supposed to keep a constant tab on their location, and, more importantly than that, weather or not they were the source of an uprising. At least this was the mission assigned to him. The mission that he had assigned to himself was less tedious, not to mention that it was not assigned to him by an organization that he was working against. However, he was forced to complete both tasks, for if he did not complete the one assigned to him by the Union, he would be thrown out of the Soviet Agency against Uprising, and that would mean the end of his own plans. At the end of the meeting he was forced to attend every Sunday, he went immediately to the place of both of his tasks, the Nedermeyer household. Here he came upon a very surprising fact.
The Nedermeyers were planning an uprising against the Soviet Union. This was extremely strange, considering that the two were actually German, as well as the fact that planning an uprising against a superpower that just recently invaded over ten countries is not exactly like planning a birthday party. He considered the three choices that the situation allowed him. One was that he could tell the union. This, he thought, was the most ridiculous idea that had ever come to his attention. The second was that he could simply ask them to think about exactly how foolish and overall ridiculous an idea it would be. The third thing he could do was right up there with telling the SAAU. This was doing nothing. So, as any intelligent man, let alone a man who had been working under the agency's nose for more than a year, he selected the second of the three. He told them just how ridiculous this idea was.
Joseph: “How is it possible to think that a successful uprising against the Union is possible, when millions have already taken place and have been mowed down by the army.”
Frau Nedermeyer: “There’s a first time for everything, no matter how foolish it may seem in the beginning”.
“I understand the logic, but why should our uprising be any different? We all know that the radio will be sqaking saying that ten or twenty or however many died in the unsuccessful uprising.”
“However, none will die in this uprising.”
“And why, would you mind saying, would that be?”
“Because this uprising will be one of words, not action.”
Joseph lajos raised his eyebrows.
“You will see soon enough” was Frau Nedermeyer's response.
And so, that night, Joseph went to bed just as confused as he was at the time of the conversation.
Joseph awoke. Be it as early as it was, he went to the lower floor of the small house outside the city. He poured his coffee, and, as he did so, he heard a steady sound. Steady, yet it altered slightly each time it made its self heard. He took his mug, and, after grabbing the pistol he was required to bring to every location he went, started his slow walk outside. After a small glance around, specifically right after looking the Parlament and the reflection in the windows, the walk turned immediately into a sprint. Ten minutes later he was one street from the square where the sound that was coming from the square was clearly a loud chanting, but he could not make out the words due to the unprofessional timing. He also saw something he did not expect to see.
Any other day, he would have expected to see the sharpshooters opening the windows surrounding the Parlament. There would be deaths. The only good thing he could do now is to save the ones he was supposedly keeping an eye on, for he had formed a bond with the German couple, and, at least in his book, they were too young to die.
If you were to be in a helicopter over the square in front of the Parlament, you would have seen something like this: One huge group of people, all scrambling away for cover from the shooters that had confirmation to claim all of their lives. If you were very watchful, you would have seen what looked like a mad man in pajamas scrambling toward the square. The man would reach the end of his run somewhere near the southeastern part of the square, where he would spread his arms to cover a group of two people. He would walk, in that position, until he noticed something unnerving. One of the shooters on the roof, were pointing their rifles at him.

Joseph hesitated with his gun, but after only seconds of thought, concluded that his secrecy was not as important as his life. He whipped out the pistol and quickly leased all of his twelve rounds. He would be lucky if it confused the man aiming at him, let alone hit him. But after the last bullet left his vicinity, he looked back at the window. It was empty.

After this scene, he continued to lead the couple under the Parlament’s roof. All he could think of was the fact that he, Joseph Lajos, used his entire secrecy from the Soviet Agency to save two Hungarians, who he could not even consider Hungarian, accept for their citizenship. He knew that he would be thrown out of the agency, and punished greatly, not only for being a double agent but for the murder of another soviet soul. Yes, he would be punished by the agency, but his deeds allowed him the freedom of finally not being part of a system that destroyed all that opposed them instead of making a peaceful decision. They could have simply focus on improving their relationships with other countries and using their money on buying land instead of weapons.