Love never dies | Teen Ink

Love never dies

By BookTheif BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
BookTheif BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina

So there I sat, outside in the freezing cold in a short red flapper dress, with the only reason being love. I, Rowan McCarthy, was in love with a guy that was perfect in every way. My parents on the other had come from times where you had to dress what was considered proper in the eyes of society. I had so many reasons to love him, for I loved when he ran his soft hands through my silky, black hair or when his big dark eyes looked into my green ones as if he could see my soul.
‘I snuck out of my nice warm bed to be here, he better come’ I thought bitterly. Even though I loved him, he was still a man. After a few minutes of ranting and mumbling I finally heard Heaths car coming up the hill. ‘About time,’ I commented to myself.
“Hello Heath!” I exclaimed for I was always happy to see him.
“Hey Roe,” he replied as I got into his warm car. The car ride itself was silent except for the noises outside the car as we made our way to the club
When we entered Copacabana, a famous jazz club you could hear and smell so many things at once. I could hear the Jazz Band playing “Sing, Sing, Sing” by Benny Goodman and see flappers swinging with their partners. The room was clouded with so much smoke that it was a hard to breath. Before I knew it, Heath grabbed my hand and pulled me out to the dance floor. Of course, I forgot he loved this song
After a few more dances, the night seemed to finish up quickly with a few drinks and more dancing. I was so tired I barely remembered Heath helping me into the car or my fluffy bed. Too soon I felt the sun shining on my face and a set of eyes glaring at me. ‘It has to be my mother; there is no other person I know that can glare like that.’ After that thought, I slowly got up out of bed. “Damn it’s too bright,” I mumbled to myself not realizing my mother could hear me.
“Rowan McCarthy, that is very un-lady like to say something like that!” my mother complained. ‘Of course my mother had to be traditional women who didn’t want rights’ I once again thought grumpily, ‘Stupid hangover.’ I dragged my feet to my closet to get ready for the already half over day. Looking around for a dress I heard my mother start listing off my flaws. I simply ignored her and continued looking for a dress that was pink or a bright color. Though one thing my mother did say caught my ear,
“…your father and I would like to speak to you when you want to actually start paying attention, it’s very important” and with that she gracefully exited the room. ‘What could be so important’ I thought curiously. Darn her, she knew I would be too curious to resist to find out what they wanted to say. I picked the closest dress and put it on quickly wanting to find out what was going on.
I ran a brush through my hair and half ran half walked downstairs as graceful as much as a klutz could. When I reached the sitting room my mother and father were chatting with a slightly handsome man. He had light blonde hair and the bluest eyes I have ever seen.
“Oh Rowan, you did decide to join us” Mother commented cheerfully.

“What do you want?” I said being blunt, but hey, that’s who I am.

Father cleared his throat and said in his deep voice “Rowan I would like you to meet Alan Cahir, he will be your future husband.”

I swear my heart stopped right there. “No…” I started saying then added in a shout “Over my dead body!” There was no way I would marry I guy I didn’t know at all. I had always seen myself marrying Heath not some stranger like my mother did.

“Rowan!” Mother’s sharp tone interpreted my train of thoughts “I am sorry Ala-“

I didn’t stop to hear the rest and just ran out the front door and down the street. People say walking would help clear your mind Ha! That just made it worse. My thoughts were all over the place. ‘How was I going to tell Heath? I love him, maybe I will run away with him’ I just walked and walked not paying attention that it was getting dark or the fact that there was no one on the streets.

Suddenly I heard someone walking up behind me and before I could turn around or run. I felt a sharp pain in my side then a tingling sensation. Before I let myself sink into sleep I heard a familiar voice say “No one says No to Alan Cahir” and with that I felt my conscious slip with my last thoughts being of Heath.