All That's Left

A pale yellow light spilled over the grey cloud, blanketing me in warmth that I had not felt for years. I looked at the tired crumbling bricks of the cell that held me within this prison. The Nazis had taken my family and me one ink black night. All that is left for me here is to wait. That is all there ever was, a wait. Like a line at a bank, we make withdrawals until we run out of money. Time. Wait. Wait for an ending to this terrifying nightmare- am I dreaming? Wait for a savior on some winged white horse, wait for sickly green poison from a gas chamber to fill my lungs, wait to ride a sunbeam up past this grey cloud into something warm and soft with pink and gold sunsets. For now, all that is left is to wait.

Courtney P. said...
This was really great! I liked the imagery and I liked how it was short too so I had time to read it all. Good job!

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14, 2009 at 6:01 am
I like this! It's short and to the point. You used very good descriptions, like "a pale yellow light" and "sickly green poison". Good job. Keep writing :)