Loneliness of Race | Teen Ink

Loneliness of Race

September 27, 2009
By Azynhottie BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
Azynhottie BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Once there was a girl named Katherine. Katherine was what white racial people called Negro. It was around the 1960's and racial tensions were escalating and whites and blacks didn't have the same opportunities. Whites and blacks had different rules and almost every aspect of their lives was different. Katherine had a white friend named Lillian that she met in town at the market of course they couldn't be friends because of their races but Katherine so desperately wanted a friend outside of her own race. Its not that Katherine didn't like her own race. Katherine like most didn't like being limited and wanted to have different race friends. Katherine knew that things were different for both Lillian and her. Blacks and whites weren't allowed to use the same bathrooms and they weren’t allowed to go to the same schools or to even drink out of the same water fountains. Almost everything was labeled, they were labeled white and colored. Katherine felt so lonely that she couldn't socialize with people outside her race she felt confined to a corner, chained up and told who to speak to like she had no voice or no mind. Martin Luther King made a speech about this very fact, he believed and dreamed of freedom for colored people. Martin Luther King said “One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of indiscrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity.” Katherine just dragged along until she heard Martin Luther King's speech, Katherine thought there was finally a ray of hope shining through the clouded dark night sky. Even though there was not immediate change to the racial loneliness Katherine felt she still hoped and got on two knees at night before god and prayed for the chance to finally be able to talk to her friend Lillian. The day finally came when Katherine could finally talk to her friend Lillian without being scared of the punishment she would receive. When that day came Katherine felt as if god had finally shined upon her and answered her prayers. From that day on Katherine and Lillian never took their friendship for granted and have been best friends since...