Crushed Hope

Journal Entry One: December 13th, 1577
Location: Plymouth Port, England

I am filled with anticipation and my heart with fire as I look out at the calm sea. I have a duty to do. Queen Elizabeth, who I work for, has commissioned me to sail to the Mediterranean and damage our enemy, Spain. I also plan to bring back gold and silver that will not only be beneficial to me, but it will also be used to pay off some of England’s debt. Sir John Hawkins and Christopher Hatton have been ever so kind enough to fund this voyage, and preparations for our departure are being made as I stand here, facing towards the sea, and my future. I am Francis Drake, privateer and killer of the Spanish, ready for the journey I am about to embark on.

Three ships sit waiting at port, resting on the glistening blue sea, sparkling like a million diamonds. I gaze out at the Pelican (which I will be captain of), the Swan, Christopher, Marigold, and the Elizabeth. I have a strong crew of 150 men, and I plan to work their fingers to the bone. Currently, Jack, my apprentice is climbing the mast to unfurl the sails.

On this voyage, we will be taking beer, wine, and camphor (for trading purposes and to curb amorous tendencies). In terms of food, we will be taking dried pork, crackers, dried nuts, dried mangos, a few fresh limes, and oatmeal. I have already informed the crew about my expectations throughout our adventure, and I have requested that they wash their clothes whenever possible, for it will prevent disease from being transmitted. I also have three large bottles of lemon juice, for a source of vitamin C. Otherwise; there is a very high chance that my men could contract scurvy, which can result in death if not reversed.

Now that all is ready, I must gather the crew, navigator, doctor, map maker, and carpenter in order to make further arrangements for our cruise. Soon I will be leaving Plymouth for the perilous journey ahead. Here I am, waiting, and wondering what new discoveries await.

Francis Drake

SecretNonConformist said...
Sept. 26, 2010 at 10:35 am
If you want to know, I'm just studying the English privateers in history right now. You did a great job at setting the stage for later entries....which I will read. Keep up the good work!

crazyHchan said...
Dec. 7, 2009 at 5:55 am
If you happen to read this, pleeeease comment :) Thank you.

drishm replied...
are you going to write a part 2?? Because if you have, or are, I'm eager to read them :D awesome piece of work!! :D if you've written some more, please give me the link.

crazyHchan said...
Dec. 7, 2009 at 5:54 am
If you read, this pleeeease comment :)