Ashes | Teen Ink

Ashes

By Luneblanc SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
Luneblanc SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

'What is to give light must endure the burning.' - Viktor Frankl

Dearest Eva,

I must tell you first that I have never forgiven myself for what I’ve done, what I did on that caravan at Auschwitz. Not a day has passed that I haven’t thought about you and prayed to dear God for your soul.

You must know that I did not make my choice out of dislike, or favoritism. I did and still do love you and Michael equally, perhaps even more in your loss, and my fury with myself. Never have I stopped regretting that day, nor ever will I.

I chose Jan’s life because you were young. You had not yet seen the horrors of the world, the way your brother had. I would much rather spare your suffering, my dear child, even if the cost is your life.

I have hired an investigator, and he tells me that you did not survive the fires of Auschwitz. I have seen your face, turned to ash and bone, and held your darling Teddy in my hands. There is no doubt that you no longer live. And so, upon completion of this letter, I shall throw it into the flames of the hearth and pray that the smoke carries my words to you in Heaven, as you dream upon a cloud. I love you, my angel.

Love always,

Your mother, Sophie.

This was actually an assignment from a writing class I attended earlier in the Summer, a program called YAWP. We watched clips of the movie 'Sophie's Choice' and were told to write from the perspective of one of the characters. I wrote from the perspective of the mother Sophie in a letter to her lost daughter, Eva.

SecretNonConformist SILVER, Marblehead, Massachusetts

The only thing necessary for the triumph of
evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"Bless the children, give them triumph, now!"
Aeschylus, The Libation Bearers

This was so beautiful! I just finished that book and am legit about to cry right now. Keep up the good work, you're amazing!

sweetxluv BRONZE, Joelton, Tennessee

Elie Wiesel put it best: “None of us is in a position to eliminate war, but it is our obligation to denounce it and expose it in all its hideousness… Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”

that was really beautfiul.

i could truly feel the deep sorrows.

bri.marie BRONZE, Carleton, Michigan

"The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose." Heda Bejar

This is quite beautiful, it says alot in a little. It makes me sad to think that a mother left her daughter to die but i understand the reasoning behind it. Very Nice

stotlers said...
on Oct. 1 2009 at 11:29 am
This is a beautiful piece of writing. I have never seen the movie your writing about so I didn't understand the beginning paragraphs but I then started to understand very clearly when you said Auscshwitz. I studied the Holocaust last year and Im sure there were choices like the one this mother made. What a horrible choice though. I also believe the picture you choose complimented the piece nicely. It really sets the mood of the piece of writing. I really liked the way you said "... I shall throw it into the flames of the hearth and pray that the smoke carries my words to you in Heaven, as you dream upon a cloud." This is a beautiful line! It brings a tear to my eye to hear such a sad line that Im sure a lot of mothers must have thought or recited after there loss of a loved one. Great job!

on Sep. 28 2009 at 1:53 am
Goldfish BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

"Someday your prince will come. Mine took a wrong turn and is too stubborn to ask for directions."
"I wish for a better world, where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned."
"Some people put up walls not to keep others out, but to see who cares enough to break them down."

Wow! When I came across this piece I could not stop crying.

Amazing work of art, written beautifully.

Thank you for sharing such an amazing piece

on Sep. 26 2009 at 12:53 am
Luneblanc SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

Yes indeed. Sophie was, if I remember correctly, a polish woman who was taken to Auschwitz by mistake. When she got off the train and tried to explain the error to the Gestapo, he got angry and demanded that Sophie send her two children to the fires. When she pleaded with him, he told her that she may choose one, and if she did not choose, then they both would be killed.

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

Wow, so sad! It did not make sense to me at first because I've not seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure that Sophie had to sacrifice over one of her children and she chose Eva, the youngest. Right?