1942

Dear Mama and Papa,

I know you’ll never get to read this, but my diary is all I have left now, and it comforts me to write to you. I want to tell you that I can’t go on any longer. This isn’t life. They took you away from me and I don’t know anyone anymore. I look around and I see tiny children dying in the streets, a brokenhearted old lady kneeling over her son’s body, cradling in her arms the head with a hole in the center. I want to look away, leave, but I can’t. Everywhere it’s the same.

Today I watched autumn leaves get plucked off thin branches by invisible hands and swirl away through the air, and I wondered, are we as insignificant and helpless as these leaves lost in the wind? Are we so easily swept away, and stripped of everything? There are no easy answers. But I decided that I would rather be a leaf lost in the wind than one crushed beneath merciless feet.

I think by this time you’ve already left this nightmare, for good. That’s why I’m doing this. Because I want to be with you. I won’t let any Nazis take me away like they took you away. When I am finished this letter, I will be done with this world. I’m on the top floor of the building. I wish I could see you one last time. I’m trying to be brave, but it’s so hard. See, my hand is shaking so badly I can hardly read what I’m writing.

I look at this empty place and remember all that we lost, and I hope that where I’m going, where you are, I’ll find everything all over again. I will always be haunted by the past, yet freed by it. And now, I can’t say goodbye, though I know I’ll be seeing you soon. I’ll see you on the other side of swastikas, bullet-ridden bodies, crowded rooms, the stench of decay, sidewalks with ugly stains of blood that a thousand storms could not wash away. I’m going to leave all this behind and be with you again, and I can think of nothing more beautiful.

Love always,
Your daughter.

Kaitlyn F. said...
I though your story was sad, yet beautiful. I liked how it was written in letter format. It had wonderful descriptive words.

Kaylah said...
I really liked your story it was a good story. It was in the format of a letter but then it was in your diary and I loved it.

Joey C. replied...
I dig on this story because it had amazing detail and a good use of words. I belive you could be and author. I would rate this book 4 stars. But 4 stars is good. You should make one on 9/11.

Brindleface said...
Wonderful! I write about the Holocaust too... maybe you can read and rate my stuff?

hiddenangelz211 said...
an absolutely amazing letter :') i love it! ♥ read and rate mine?

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow.  Great job.

SaddleShoeGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was so sad! You captured the emotions beautifully and amazingly! I wish that I could write like you! It almost made me cry!

Lauren101 said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 10:20 am
Great job! Could you check this out and give me feedback? :) http ://www.teenink .com /fiction/historical_fiction/article/97138/The-Tripoli-Chronicle/

johnsone said...
Honestly I thought this was a very emotional piece. You really were able to capture the emotion that some people must of felt during the holocaust. Other then a few times in your writing when you had words that werent to descriptive like very, high things like that. If you would have replaced some of those words with more descriptive ones this would of made the piece so much better. However I did like your use of rhetorical questions such as, "are we as insignificant as leaves lost in the w... (more »)

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, this made my eyes water. You have captured great emotion in this story. I knew it would be about the Holocaust because of the title '1942'. Great job :)

Karen(: This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 26, 2009 at 11:41 am
Thanks so much :) That means a lot to me!

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
You're welcome.

smithg said...
Overall, i thought this was a great story that really showed alot of emotions and captured the true meaning of the Holocaust. There are some things i did find wrong with this though, for instance, you never really told us that it was the Holocaust you just let us assume, like how you said nazis and swastikas just implying it. Another thing was toward the end of the second paragraph, you started a sentance with but when the two sentences could have easily been combined. And lastly, it seems like ... (more »)

Sept. 25, 2009 at 5:58 am
Thanks for your feedback. Here's my reply...
Not everything has to be stated directly in fiction. The Nazis and swastikas could refer to no other time period, so I really don't see the problem. Besides, you have to consider the perspective of the piece. This is a girl who is writing her last words; it's what she would say to her parents if they could hear her. She doesn't care what anyone else thinks. She knows her parents would understand her, and she doesn't nee... (more »)

letthesunshinein said...
Sept. 23, 2009 at 11:15 am
wow simply amazing great job!