Gaya | Teen Ink

Gaya

By sweet_candice SILVER, Georgetown, Other
sweet_candice SILVER, Georgetown, Other

Behind every pretty girl there's a secret. No one is born pretty or stayed forever pretty.

Orphans.

It’s snowing and the ground’s filled with it. Gaya walked barefoot on the freezing floor. His body never stopped shivering but he kept on walking. One scene flashed through his mind, he fell down to the floor and cried. His long-lost family in Kenya was never found. His mother, a woman who’s willing to starve so her kids and husband may eat. The father, one weak but tough man that never let his family down. All his siblings, those he shared his childhood with were all lost. What was once beautiful and sweet to him is now all gone. He wiped away his last tear and stood up. He stood there and stared in astonishment. One group of innocent-looking kids surrounded him. They spoke in a language that Gaya couldn’t understand. He thought, will they bring me to Kenya, to my family, to my home? Tears trickled down his dark, thin and sad face. The kids stopped talking. They stared at him. One girl passed Gaya a little handkerchief. Gaya reached for it and thanked the girl. The girl did not understand Gaya but she smiled. Her sea-blue dress danced with the cold winter breeze and her opal-green eyes twinkled in the dark night. She held out her hand. Gaya hesitated. The girl smiled and held the rest of the kid’s hand. Gaya put his hand on hers. She smiled once again. All the kids sang a happy song. Gaya did not understand the song but he knows he just made friends. The kindness of the kids made Gaya think of his family. He looked up the sky and gazed at the star. There’s a star shining alone in the dark sky. All the kids giggled at Gaya. They pulled Gaya’s hand and ran toward an orphanage.

“Sister Anne, Sister Anne!” the girl that gave Gaya the handkerchief knocked at the door..

“Oh hi Jane.” Sister Anne opened the door. “Oh, who’s this? What’s your name?”

“Anne, he doesn’t understand our language. I think he’s African.” she said.

“Oh, ok.” Anne said in reply.

“He’s an orphan I think. We saw him wandering in the streets.” Jane reminded.

“C’mon in. Let’s talk inside. He’s freezing.” Sister Anne held open the door for the kids while she keeps count of them.

Jane pulled a seat beside Gaya. “Can he stay? Please Anne.”

Anne laughed, “Wait ‘till Sister Maria’s here. She’s gonna decide with the rest of the sisters.” Jane sat impatiently. There were sounds of footsteps. “Girl’s dresses, upright. Boy’s shirt, upright.” All the girl’s straightened their dress and stood up straight. All the boys tucked in their shirt and stood up just like the girls did. Sister Anne stood beside Gaya. The door opened gently. Five women came in. They stood in a line and nodded at Sister Anne. She nodded back. Then all six of the sisters sat down with straight backs. All the kids took a deep breath, “Good evening, Sister Maria, Jennifer, Susan, Casey, Louis and Anne.”

“Good evening.” all the sisters said. The kids sat down on their little stool.

“May we know about this little, black boy?” the first lady said. She was around her 50’s and she wore a long blue dress with glasses.

“Yes, Sister Maria. The kids were playing in the town then they saw this little African. Jane brought him back to our orphanage. She wanted him to be part of us. Is he allowed to stay with us, Sister Maria?” Anne answered.

“Hey, little boy, what’s your name?” another sister said. She was the 4th lady. She had a kind and sweet voice. Her face was pale and she wears a long navy blue cape. Her smile amazed Gaya. He stared at her.

“He can’t speak, Sister Casey. No, I mean he doesn’t speak our language.” Jane said. Then she sat back in her seat.

“Well, I think vote is the best choice.” another sister said. She has wavy black hair that reaches her waist and she wears a black dress.

“I disagree with Susan. We can’t have an African in our orphanage. We can’t take the risk. What if people saw him? Make him become a slave?” another lady questioned. She has orange hair and her face’s very beautiful. She wore the same thing with Casey.

“Agreeable point, Jennifer. It’s too dangerous to have an African here in our orphanage. He might get caught and we might even be caught too, for keeping an African here. I disagree.” a woman at the corner said. She wore a pair of glasses and she wore the same as Casey and Jennifer did.

“But, we can’t do this to a poor little orphan. Isn’t this an orphanage? How can you left out an orphan?” Jane stood up and tears filled the corner of her eyes. Gaya stood up. He remembered what happened at the street and held out the handkerchief for her. Jane took it. Gaya smiled just like Jane did before. She gave him a hug. “I’m sorry. They don’t want to let you be here. I’d tried my best but it didn’t work. I’m so sorry.” Jane wiped away her tears and said to Gaya.

Gaya took a piece of paper and wrote on it. “Gaya” he wrote.

“Your name is Gaya? I am Jane. Say Jane.” Jane smiled.

“Jane. Jane.” Gaya repeated. “Jane, Jane.” Jane cried.

“Why are you so unfair? How can you let a poor little orphan stay out in the dangerous America where he could be enjoying with us.” Jane shouted.

“Manners, Jane.” Jennifer reminded Jane.