Glory in a Bottle | Teen Ink

Glory in a Bottle

January 31, 2023
By Anonymous

I woke up from what seemed to be a long slumber. I thought to myself, How did I end up here? What was happening before I drifted off into the nothingness? My eyes re-adjusted to the blinding light, reflecting off the white soft stinging sandy beach. It looked to be as if I were on a small island with a couple of trees and nothing else here.

Dazed and confused I fell back asleep… I woke back up and looked around. I thought to myself, is that a bottle I see? I picked it up and looked through the glaring rugged glass bottle. I chewed the cork off and out slipped a note. I watched as the note slowly weaved back and forth through the air and watched it gently land facedown on the sand. I said, What on God’s green Earth could be on this paper that will help me! 

The note read: 

In the Middle of the 3 trees, 3 paces east yee, a hollow piece of land you shall see.

I looked up in the sky, focused on which way the sun was slowly setting past noon and found my bearings. I did as the note said and indeed there was a hollow piece of land. I  opened the bunker and started to walk down the old creaky stairs. *Creek Creek* 

Empty and Dark, I thought. Of course, I say with a sigh. What a lousy piece of paper it was! I started to walk up stairs and noticed an unbroken rum bottle. I picked it up and peered into it hoping there was some left in it. But, there were Miniature waves smashing alongside what seemed to be a massive mighty miniature ship. I looked more closely and it seemed like someone scribed the words “Throw ‘er into the great depths” on the bottle. 

I quickly prance up the stairs and onto the beach. Excited as I could be, I broke the bottle open over my knee, and threw the ship into the sea. I waited and waited… Geez, I thought, what a bunch of rubbish thinking that would actually save me. What was I thinking that it would be possible for a ship to grow in water?! 

Night was setting in soon and I went back to the bunker I discovered to rest for the night…

I woke up and climbed out. My eyes widened. “Holy mother of God!” I yelled. There was a ship in the water the size of a Galleon. It looked just like the one from the bottle. I frantically swam to the ship knowing I have more adventures lying ahead.