Holocaust Letter | Teen Ink

Holocaust Letter

April 28, 2009
By Brian Nguyen BRONZE, Milpitas, California
Brian Nguyen BRONZE, Milpitas, California
1 article 3 photos 1 comment

Dear Mother,


It has been such a long time since I’ve seen your sweet, caring face. I miss you so much. If only you could know the pain that I am going through not being able to see you. Guess what though? I was just released from concentration camp. I am so happy now, but I suffered so much through the many years. I have this very painful wound on my left arm which I got when I was working during labor camp. I try not to think about it, but it just hurts so much. If only you were here; you would make me feel all better. Between June and April, I was sent to four different labor camps throughout Germany and they worked me until I felt like I was about to die. There was also barely any food or water. I was starved. This one guy who I slept next to actually died of starvation, it was so tragic. I was in tears.
Mother, how can there be such cruel people in the world. They cram so many of us in a tiny little bed, you could barely move. It was not like you could sleep that much anyways. When someone did not obey orders, they would just shoot them right then and there. It was a tragedy. I felt so much sorrow. I was so scared the first time I arrived at the camp. The Nazi soldiers are all ruthless, sparing no mercy. It was because of them that I worked all that I could. The fear made me work as hard as I could, so I would not get killed. I think about you guys every night. Hoping that one day our family will be able to reunite and live happily ever after. I miss you, papa, and Erwin. All those happy times we used to have. The Nazis have taken away happiness and love. They fill our world with sorrow and hate. I sure hope you and the rest of the family are okay. I pray for you guys every night. Never giving up hope, even though it seems like all is lost in the world.

The other day, I was walking around, and I found a stamp on the floor. It brought back so many memories of my nice stamp collection that I had back at home in Satu-Mare. I hope nothing happened to my collection. I spent so many years collecting all of those beautiful stamps. I really miss fencing mother. I was so proud when I won against the non-Jewish team so many years again. I must practice again. I also want to play the piano so badly. The joy of music would probably lift up my spirits. It’s so dead all around me. All you hear is a cold chill passing by.

Well, don’t worry about me. When I was first liberated from the camp, I had nowhere to go, but then this nice couple took me in and sheltered me. They are very nice and I find myself very fortunate. I do work around the house, but surely not as much as in the labor camps. I have a decent sized bed to sleep in. Looks like it is about time to go and eat supper. I am going to go now. I miss you, papa, and Erwin. Wherever you are, I know you can make it through. Just keep on believing and never give up hope mother. One day, I know that we will all be together again as a family.
Sincerely,
Your son,
Victor

The author's comments:
This is a fiction letter. I received a card with a little information about a child that lived during the Holocaust, I then pretended I was that child and wrote a letter to my "mother". It shows how much suffering that children had to go through during the Holocaust.