Queen Elizabeth | Teen Ink

Queen Elizabeth

By gstephens240 BRONZE, Baldwinsville, New York
gstephens240 BRONZE, Baldwinsville, New York

"Elizabeth you know I love you, I did this for you!" shouted Robert Dudley "You didn't have to kill her!" Elizabeth was so frustrated with him.

2 days earlier

At Palace of Placentia, Greenwich; Where Elizabeth grew up. She was having a conversation with the soon Archduke Charles about him courting to marry her. "Elizabeth, I could complete Britain on the alongside you."
"If you think you complete me then my nickname isn't the Virgin Queen, Gloriana or Good Queen Bess." She said with the frustration "I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too. Anger makes dull you as a man witty, but it keeps you poor." She said with frustration. "Fine, then who will you court?"

"I have no motives to marry I am doing just fine by myself, I was an extremely bright child due to my education. I founded the Church of England, Raising the status of England abroad." She was very mad at him at that point. She received offers of marriage from the King of Spain, Prince Erik of Sweden. She returned to her room where she decided that she wanted to go riding. She consulted her horse master Lord Robert Dudley.
"Welcome your majesty," stated Robert
"We've been friends since childhood, please call me Elizabeth."
"As you wish, your majesty" They both laugh.

The queen and Robert spent many hours together and had a great deal in common, sharing a love of hunting, horseback riding, dancing, and lively conversation. This sparked endless gossip among the princess’s household, particularly given that Robert was a married man. She clung to him since her childhood because she had been made illegitimate by her father Henry VIII when her mother was executed for treason and her life had been in the balance during Mary I’s reign when she was linked to uprising such as the rebellion of Thomas Wyatt the Younger.

The next day, the queen woke up with her everyday occasions of a breakfast fit for a king, or a queen for that matter. A series of official meetings will often follow, usually lasting 10 to 20 minutes. Then the Queen will then lunch privately.

The queen went down to the stables after lunch to greet Robert for her riding lesson. They talked for a very long time like they always did. Robert decided to ask an obvious question they never talked about.

"Your Majesty-"

Elizabeth quickly corrected the lifelong friend, "Elizabeth, but keep going."
"If I'm overstepping please correct me but, why haven't you ever married."
"You're not overstepping, I never found someone who was the perfect someone, I always wanted to wait never had any intention to marry."
"Oh, okay makes sense." He said with a sad tone, secretly he thought more of Elizabeth. "Is there something you would like to say?" She said knowing what he was thinking. "No, your Majesty; actually I think of you as more of a friend." He took a deep breath, "I love you, I would do anything to take you as my bride."

Elizabeth said, "Robert, I was born a princess but declared illegitimate through political machinations. Eventually, upon her half-sister Mary Tudor’s death, she took the crown.

When I was given the crown I was so happy especially because I'm a natural born leader and I knew a man would undermine me."
"I would never do that to you," he slowly reached out and grabbed her hand, “Never," Blown away Elizabeth said, "I need to sleep on it, I know my way back." She rode away and Robert sat there on his horse and rode around for almost an hour before he heads back to the stable.

Elizabeth couldn't sleep the entire night and during the middle of the night, she was roaming around. She loved looking around at night time. Soon she roamed to the balcony off the kitchen and looking out on the garden she thought to herself, 'He's married but I know he would do anything for me.' She said out loud.

"What are you thinking! He's married!"
A servant came around the corner and said, "Your Majesty? Are you okay?"
"Yes, sorry to disturb you at this time of night."
“It's no problem, do you need me to wait for you?" Asked the servant.
“No, I can find my way back, thank you." She spoke, the turned her head back to keep thinking until the sun rose. She ended up going back to her room when she saw the sunrise because she knew she had to give Robert an answer. She slept almost until mid- day.

She awoke to people running around the halls and shouting. Elizabeth in the doorway of her room exclaims,
"What on earth is going on?"
"Amy Dudley was found dead at the bottom of a narrow staircase, her neck broken." The servant exclaimed with concern.

Elizabeth evidently knew who this was and so instead of going and following everyone she ran in her nightwear to find Robert.

"Your Majesty, you're in you sleepwear outside let me bring you inside to get dressed." Robert put his hand on her shoulder to move her back inside, Elizabeth pushed him back.
"Robert! What did you do to her," she exclaimed

"I know what this looks like-" as he was talking she cut him off
"Just tell me what happened," she asked now quieter.
"We got into a fight, she was telling me she wanted more kids and I told her about how I felt you."
"Robert," She took a long pause, " I told you I didn't want to marry anyone; just tell me. Did you do it?"
"She got mad we were in the hall, my temper jus-"
"Elizabeth you know I love you, I did this for you!" shouted Robert Dudley
"You didn't have to kill her!" Elizabeth was so frustrated with him. She walked away to go tell the police in the stairway by the hall. Robert grabbed her arm tightly, "Please don't" She yanked her arm away.
"I have to." She said regretfully
"Always remember I did this fo-" As Elizabeth cut him off she said
"I know you did it because you love me."

She never had the courage to go to the police and turn him in and he kept his job at the palace. As the days went on many in the palace believed that her death was not an unfortunate accident. Dudley was widely suspected to be responsible for her death, despite the fact that the trial declared it to be an accident. Elizabeth knew that if she did marry him that the ugly rumors circulating about him would get worse, and perhaps even that Elizabeth herself had been involved.

Elizabeth had always known that popularity was a fickle thing, and although she said nothing. She was old, and the illusion that she was not, was falling away rapidly. When visiting the House of a courtier she had to have a stick to walk up the stairs, and during the opening of Parliament, she almost fell under the weight of her heavy robes. Elizabeth knew that an aged queen could not long command the hearts of the young, who were waiting for the sun to rise on a new world. Also, for some years she has been suffering from some form of mental instability. She was no longer quite the charming, witty, graceful, monarch that she had once been. She was rather paranoid and was increasingly bitter. She was also lonelier and lonelier as more friends passed away. She had never doubted the justice of the execution of her once favorite, Robert Dudley, but she grieved deeply at the death of the man she had loved and nurtured since childhood. Sometimes she would sit in dark rooms, weeping at his young and tragic end. She would end up dying of blood poisoning most likely due to lead, the conclusion the corners drew.