Jovanny | Teen Ink

Jovanny

May 16, 2019
By Anonymous

There once was a man named Jovanny “Jumping Bean” Hernandez. He was the savior of Mexico. Back in his time of 1810 Mexico was ruled by an evil nation called Spain. The Spanish would act like they were better than the Mexicans and treat them like second class citizens.
So Jovanny “Jumping Bean” Hernandez decided it was time to do something about it. Jovanny staged an uprising with his fellow Mexicanos against their tyrannical spanish overlords. Jovanny began by attacking the most important city in all of Mexico … Mexico City. Jovanny knew if they could control Mexico City then the Spanish would be at a large disadvantage. So Jovanny and his fellow Mexicanos were preparing for their attack.

This was extremely dangerous because if the evil Spanish overlords found out of Jovanny’s plans he would be hung. But Jovanny knew the risks and fought for what he believed in. They began by finding acceptable weapons. They used anything from a slingshot to a full on shotgun, this was one of the most sophisticated weapons of the time.

Then the day finally came. Jovanny and all of his loyal followers began to siege Mexico City. There were hundreds and hundreds of Spanish soldiers around Mexico City, and somehow they were all prepared for the vicious battle about to unfold. Children were running around shooting their slingshots. While men were dying on the front lines, and men coward behind cover not knowing what to do. But not Jovanny he was a perfect warrior fearless and ready for battle.

He was running all over the town leading his followers to victory. It seemed as he was the only reason this battle was even close. As Jovanny would approach a firefight the tides would seem to magically turn in favor of the Mexicanos. Finally they had won the battle at Mexico City and it was theirs. But then the unbelievable happened. Jovanny … he was … he was … he was shot in the next battle. This seemed like the end of the rebellion. The Mexicanos lost control of Mexico City and it seemed like it was all over.

No one could compare to Jovanny “Jumping Bean” Hernandez. That is until he arrived. Jeremy Juarez he was the hero all of Mexico was waiting for. Although he doesn’t get the credit for this as Jovanny had fought and died for this revolution, and without him none of this would be possible. But after Jeremy arrived everything seemed to go the way of the Mexicanos.

They were winning battle after battle. From the battle of Guadalajara to the ferocious battle of Ciudad Juarez, a city named after Jeremy Juarez. Jeremy finally defeated the spanish and gave all of the credit to his beloved friend Jovanny “Jumping Bean” Hernandez. This was the end of Spanish control in Mexico. A country which thrived for the rest of its existence.


The author's comments:

This was a story that my good friend, Jovanny Hernandez, and I wrote during our English class. We don't exactly know how we got to the name Jumping Bean but it was fun.