Rapunzel | Teen Ink

Rapunzel

By Nadio SILVER, Melbourne, Florida
Nadio SILVER, Melbourne, Florida

Once upon a time on a quaint, peaceful farm, there lived a young and happy couple. They weren’t rich, but stayed content all the same, wanting not money but a child to love and cherish. And surely, one glorious morning, his wife exclaimed with shining eyes “We’re having a child”. Her husband was exuberant, and together they danced around with glee. Soon they had related the news to their neighbour, a beautiful and kind enchantress, who delighted at the news. The months passed in a whirlwind of excitement and preparation until the day their baby girl, named Rapunzel, was born. She was certainly not the prettiest infant, but they were happy all the same. However, no matter how hard Rapunzel’s parents tried, their daughter was a malicious and cold-hearted child. Whenever her parents left her alone, they would find her breaking and smashing their furniture, and dragging dead animals into the house, and she would scream and stamp her feet when they protested. Unfortunately, they lacked the heart to punish her, and so she continued to take advantage of them. She often dreamed that a handsome prince would carry her off into a life of bliss …. But that could never happen, because she was a cruel, spiteful creature. On top of it all, she was the most atrocious girl they had seen. Her ears were crooked, her neck small and her voice scratchy. She had once attacked a bear cub, who had given her one of her ice-cold blue eyes a bad bruise, in addition, she had gained several bruises and a missing tooth. The only thing Rapunzel cared for was her beautiful, flax-golden hair. It had grown far past her ankles and trailed when she walked. Rapunzel often spent days neglecting chores-and her teeth-to groom her hair. The enchantress, seeing the troubles of Rapunzel and her family, offered to take her in and pay Rapunzel’s parents a year’s crop of rampion. Her parents accepted, thankful, because they could never find it in their hearts to truly love ler. Within a year they had another child. Meanwhile, Rapunzel was troublesome for the enchantress. Even at a tender age she refused all chores, and even avoided helping with potion-making. Moreover, the little girl took an unhealthy pleasure from killing small animals. At twelve years of age, the frustrated enchantress tearfully locked her away in a high tower. Ever since then, the enchantress would stand at the foot of the tower and call, “Rapunzel, let down your hair”. And she would climb up Rapunzel’s hair and give her whatever she needed. And that was that, until Rapunzel turned sixteen. A handsome prince had been riding through the forest on his magnificent grey stallion, when all of a sudden he came across the most stunning person he had ever laid eyes on.
“Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair” The girl called up to a tower. Even her voice was enrapturing. And then something hideous happened. A horrifying creature - or was it a girl? - appeared at the top of the tower and led down a rope of blonde hair. The pretty girl climbed up her hair and handed her something that he couldn’t see. love -struck by her beauty, the Prince fell in love with her there and then. when she climbed down from the tower, he stepped forward, smiling, and she froze, falling just as deep in love with him and he was with her. Unfortunately, Rapunzel felt the same way.
“Finally, my Prince has come to rescue me! Come,save me from this awful place,take me somewhere else, a land where...:” Rapunzel trailed off at the sight of the other two locking eyes. Jealousy flared in her heart as the Prince spoke.
“Fair maiden, I wish for you to be my bride. Will you accept?” He went down on one knee as she stepped back in shock. What is going on? He was supposed to want to marry me Rapunzel thought to herself. Of course she accepted, and they agreed that the Prince would stay for while she packed what little she had.
“Rapunzel,dear, i will send you to relation of mine. I know she will take good care of you! And really i am sorry for all this happening...Forgive me?”
Rapunzel glared at her and screamed. Her voice was ear-piercing, and shattered the window of the enchantress’s house. She flinched.
“No! I will never forgive you, because you abandoned me! And the Prince was supposed to take me away, not you!” She spat the last word out with such venom, that the Prince looked away. Rapunzel rummaged through the shelves until she found what she was looking for: a serrated-edged knife. Rapunzel had brought it here when she moved in Just in case of emergencies. She truly was horrible person.
Unfortunately, the Prince was kind enough to go to the tower and apologize to Rapunzel for not marrying her. He shouted, “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!” And she did.
My lucky day, thought Rapunzel. He falling right into my trap. 
The enchantress was searching for the Prince, with little success, when all of a sudden she heard a sickening shriek coming from the tower. Rapunzel, smiling evilly, dropped the dead body of the prince on ground. She wiped her hands on the wall and smirked. She was appalled. Rapunzel ….. How could she? Her heart simply broke at the sight of the corpse as it fell to the grass, staining the beautiful green with red. Her eyes shone with unshed tears as she clenched her fists, not knowing what to do. Rapunzel, as if knowing what the enchantress was thinking, let down her hair. The enchantress clambered up the tower, helpless with fury. She had no idea of what she would have done to her, but anger took over her common sense.
The heartless sixteen-year-old against the wall. The minute the enchantress got up the tower, Rapunzel whipped a long strand of her hair, and strangled the nice lady to death. Rapunzel dropped the enchantress’s corpse down, grinning feverishly, and then she rested her arm against the window sill. Then, thought hit her-she had no way out of the tower.
After about two weeks, Rapunzel starved to death, finally getting the fate she deserved, anything but a happy ending. The two dead bodies decayed slowly, giving their lives to the plants in the soil.
And Rapunzel’s parents lived happily ever after.

I wrote this pieace because my teacher asked me to change the setting and add new charcters and this time I made the orginial character crazy and ugly