The First Time I Met Them | Teen Ink

The First Time I Met Them

By mlcouver GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts
mlcouver GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Maybe greatness isn't about being immortal, or glorious, or popular- it's about choosing to fight for the greater good of the world, even when the world's turned its back on you."
-Alex Bailey
"The Land of Stories"

I knew that Johnny had killed Bob, but I still knew he didn’t deserve to die. None of them did. Not even that pigheaded Dallas Winston who didn’t give a crap about anyone else. I still remember that night- the first time I’d seen them. Who knew that the day I met Johnny Cade would be the last time I’d ever see him.

Marcia and I had settled down for our movie as soon as we shook Bob and Randy off our trail. I had repeatedly told Bob- I don’t want to be seen with him when he’s drunk. Marcia and I took a seat in the front row of the chairs set up in the back.
The boys behind us were hollering like a bunch of apes. I recognized one as Dallas Winston, the hood that was the worst of them all. He had white-blonde hair that made his icy grey eyes pierce through the soul of anyone who made eye contact with him. He wasn’t very handsome, but there was something about him that was different. Like how he was flirting with me now, asking if I wanted a Coke. It was driving me insane, but a tiny part of it tugged at my insides, because I knew I secretly liked it.
No, I would just have to stop thinking that way. Dallas Winston was a hood, through and through, and nothing more…
I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, and spun around. “Get lost, hood!” I snapped, and Dally through his hands up in defense, and said something I didn’t quite understand before standing up, and walking away.
I focused my attention on the two younger greasers that had been sitting to his left. “Are you going to start in on us too?” I asked, and they shook their heads.
“No. We wouldn’t.” One of them said. His hair was greased back, and was long. It was brown, but had a reddish tint. It looked nice on him, and I sort of liked it slicked back like that.
“What’s your name?” I asked, brushing a strand of hair behind my hair. The kid looked at me for a second before responding.
“Ponyboy Curtis.” He said. Ponyboy’s face turned crimson.
“That’s an original name,” I offered, hoping that’s what he was looking for. I could tell right then that Ponyboy was the type of boy who you could tell anything to, and he wouldn’t tell a soul, not if his life depended on it.
Suddenly, Dally was back, and he plopped down in the chair next to me. “Here, baby, here’s your coke.” He handed it to me, and leaned in for a kiss.
“Get off me!” I yelled, and tossed the Coke on the ground.
“Leave her alone, Dal,”  A small voice piped up. I spun around. Ponyboy’s companion was staring at me. Dally’s eyes were blazing with anger, and he stood up aggressively.
“Whatever,” Dallas said, and stormed away.
“Thanks,” I told the boy, “Who are you?”
“I’m Johnny. Johnny Cade,” The boy said meekly. I could barely even hear him. His voice was soft and airy and made him seem vulnerable. I was surprised a boy that shy could muster up those simple words.
“Well, Johnny, thanks for telling him off for me,” I said, and I smiled. Johnny gave me a small smile back, his dark bangs hanging in his eyes like curtains. Through them, I could see the large dark eyes that held so much pain. I looked away, but that image was burned in my mind…
And it still is. When Ponyboy told me Johnny was dead, those eyes were stamped in my mind. And later, when Ponyboy said Dally was dead, I knew I had messed it up. Dally had died because he was so overwhelmed with...heartbreak. I knew it was impossible for someone like him to care that much about a Soc like me, but if he cared that much about Johnny, maybe he wasn’t such a flirt and bully. It hurts to think about them. None of them deserved to die, not even Dally. Maybe, just maybe Dally and I could’ve worked out. I just wished he had lived long enough for me to find out.

I don't own any of these characters, they all belong to S.E. Hinton. 

This is a fan fiction about Cherry' Valence's first impression of the greasers. Read, and enjoy!