After the Happily Ever After—The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett | Teen Ink

After the Happily Ever After—The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

By taaahaa BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
taaahaa BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

I’ve always wondered what happened after the “Happily Ever After.” What happened after Mary and Colin grew fatter and their hair grew thicker? After Mr. Archibald Craven found out his son, Colin, could use his legs and not a single lump stood on his back. After Mary and Colin saw the change of the secret garden. What really happened now that this family at Misselthwaite Manor is back together? What happened after the ever after?
-----
          One sunny morning, in a mansion full of love and somewhat joy, Mary Lennox awoke from her enormous bed to see Martha Sowery standing next to her bed.
     “Eh! Tha’ has slept like ‘em babies in a carriage!” blurted Martha.
     “Today shall be a wonderful day!” exclaimed Mary.
     “Why is tha’rt so cheerful?”
     “We’ll be eating in th’ dining room for breakfast for the first time. So, why have you come? Is there a message for me?”
     “Oh, yes; tha’ munnot go to breakfast first, Colin has asked if thee can walk together.” explained Martha.
          Martha paused as she waited for Mary’s response. Mary shook her hand which told Martha that she’s dismissed.
     “Well, I’ll leave you to it!” Martha said as she walked away.
          The room was silent. Mary got out of her bed. She opened the window and the birds started to chirp a song. The sun gleamed and shinned across the moor. It kissed Mary’s face as she glanced out the window. Flowers, plants, and trees covered the flat land of the moor. Mary could see Ben Weatherstaff working by the summer garden.  She skipped away from the window and got dressed in her nicest summer clothes. She put on a bright yellow dress with sunflowers and a hat with a yellow bow to go with it.
-----
          Mary traveled through the mansion to Colin’s room. His windows were also open and the gusts blew delicately. A sturdy, garden scent submerged into the room. Colin was walking around his room looking rather confused and excited. He was still in his button-up pajama shirt and pants.
     “Oh Mary, am I dreaming? I woke up and I could get out of bed by myself. I danced and jumped and twirled and I never got tired. Is this a dream?” inquired Colin.
     “No,” Mary answered, “you can really dance and jump and twirl! The magic is now in you! Just like when you first stood up in the garden and when Mr. Craven saw you sprinting across the garden. You had the magic and courage to walk! You are no longer weak or lumpy; you’re a regular growing boy. Now, let’s go and eat our breakfast.”
          The two walked across the house to the dining room.
           When Mary and Colin got the dining room, the table was covered with food. It was a hazelnut wood with a forest green table cloth. The food laid in the center as if it never ended. Mr. Craven was sitting at the far end of the table waiting for the two to arrive. His head pulled up. Mr. Craven’s eyes shimmered with happiness. By the look on his face, Mary knew that her Uncle had something shocking to say.
     “Good morning,” began Mr. Craven, “come, take a seat, and eat. We have a great deal to discuss.
           Mary and Colin sat across from each other and then filled their selves with food. Mary had most of the French toast and Colin had most of the eggs.
     “I have planned to travel to Japan for a little while,” announced Mr. Craven.
          Colin’s face grew red and his eyes started to water. He couldn’t believe his father would leave at such short notice.
     “But, but, you just came back about a month ago!” cried Colin.
     “Colin! Before you finish your yapping, let me finish what I was saying. Now, I called you two down to ask for your opinion. This is going to be the first trip that I will be spending with my family. It will be for the rest of the summer. So, do you children want to come with me to Japan?” asked Mr. Craven.
          Mary tried to say her answer, but Colin took the words right out of her mouth.
     “Yes, yes, yes! We would certainly love to go with you Father!” hollered Colin.
     “So, the trip is official! We’ll be traveling to Japan tomorrow morning!” cheered Mr. Craven.
          The family ate their breakfast on that beautiful morning. Mary had finished her breakfast, and gone to her room to pack for the journey. She thought of what would happen if the garden started to grow ginormous weeds and kill the plants. Mary thought of how Dickon would have to care for the garden all by himself while she would be in Japan exploring with her family. She didn’t want to abandon Dickon alone and she also didn’t want to miss the trip. Mary would have to make a decision by tomorrow morning. But which one will she choose?