Second Madness | Teen Ink

Second Madness

By SamanthaRodriguez SILVER, Miami, Florida
SamanthaRodriguez SILVER, Miami, Florida

"If you don't succeed try and try again."

“I don’t know exactly where I was, only that it was foggy.” Her parents looked at her, curiosity written all over their faces, waiting for what they would hear.
  “It was hard to see but I know there were other people with me. There was a boy, probably around my age. He had blue hair.” Her parents expressions stiffened but they didn’t speak. “He had pale skin and he had black stripes like a cat. That’s all I could really see from him. The rest of him looked a bit hazy.”
   Her mother scooted in her seat and said “Is that all you can remember?”
   She shook her head. “There were other people to, a lot more. Like this boy. Red.”
   Her mother brows furrowed “Red?”
   She nodded with a shiver “H-his eyes. They…were red.” Her mother looked at her horrified but didn’t speak. “But besides that he didn’t seem that strange.
   “Unlike these two girls. They looked exactly alike. They scared me. I felt like they were reading my mind, as if making me relive through my greatest fears. And their eyes were also a different color, they were yellow. It wasn’t an exactly scary color but mostly enchanting.
   “Then I saw another girl there. There was only one of her thankfully, but she was so tiny. She didn’t seem to frighten me as much as the others. But she did make a loud noise whenever I was near her. A-and for some reason my ears…they started to bleed.
   “And then…there was a man, also around my age. There was something about him, like I knew him somehow. I can’t really describe his looks either, only that he wore a top hat.” Dinah stopped and looked down at the table.
   Her parents sighed, relieved that her story is over. Her mother looked at her father and nodded. “Is that all you can remember from the dream Dinah?” Her father asked.
  Dinah looked up and shrugged her shoulders. Her curly black hair down with her long bangs covering her eyes. She had her usual morning attire for when she just woke up, covering her very slightly pale skin. “I think so. It’s hard to remember most of the time, that’s why I told you both. I’ve been having these dreams often and I always forget them. I couldn’t help but to be curious about them so I wanted to tell you so that hopefully if I forget you could remind me.”
   Dinah’s mother squeezed her husband hand, obviously worried about her daughter and her repetitive dreams. “I understand Kitten. I’m glad you told us because these dreams do seem a bit scary.”
   Dinah shook her head. “It’s not that they’re scary. It’s that I’m just curious. Why would I have dreams of these kind of dreams of people I’ve never met before?” Dinah huffed and slumped in her chair.
  “I’m just not sure what to think of it anymore, except for one thing.”
  Lisa tilted her head. “And what’s that kitten?”
  Dinah stood up and walked towards the mirror. She lifted her head to face the mirror and pushed back her black bangs. She lifted her eyelids slowly, obviously not used to keeping her eyes wide open. “That there are people besides me with strange eyes.”
  Lisa closed her hands together. Her eyes filled with sadness following tears. Damir balled his hands into a fist as he looked down at the table they were sitting at. His eyes weren’t filled with sadness but mostly guilt. Knowing that her daughter felt strange since she had to disguise herself to be like everyone else made her feel strange, which brought him guilt.
   Dinah stared at her pink eyes for she didn’t know what else to do. “But it’s just a dream so I won’t think much about it.”
  Dinah put her bangs back down to cover her eyes and turned around. She looked at her parents and smiled. “Mama, Papa, thank you for listening. I know it may seem strange to ask for you to listen about something like this but I was just curious.” Dinah walked up to her parents and embraced them.
   Dinah hugged her mother first. “It’s not strange at all Kitten. My love for you is infinite so I won’t mind a single thing you decide to tell me.” Dinah smiled and squeezed her mother tight. “Thank you Mama.”
   Dinah then released her mother and went to embrace her father. “And I have no bother in the things you tell me either Dinah. Just remember, curiosity is a dangerous thing so try to contain your curiosity.” Dinah nodded and said “Yes Papa.”
  Dinah let them go and smiled. “Oh and I just remembered one more thing!”
  They both looked at Dinah with their full attention. “What is it Kitten?”
  Dinah looked down and played with the strings of the bow on her night gown. “W-well today is Cheshire day. And-“
  “Oh yes! I’ve completely forgot!” Lisa didn’t let Dinah ask what or let alone finish what she was saying since she scurried out of the room with a smile on her face. Dinah looked at her father puzzled as he just shrugged his shoulders with a slight chuckle.
  Lisa came back with a round box and a gleaming smile. She opened the box and signaled Dinah to go toward her. Dinah just sighed and couldn’t help but smile.
  Lisa took out the black and elegant dress. The bottom designs had twirls of purple which made the black dress pop. It was strapless but covered the body appropriately. The dress appeared to be above the knees by barely an inch.
  Dinah touched the dress with astonishment. She didn’t speak just breathed heavily is awe. “Wow.” She says.
  “Do you like it? I wasn’t sure if you would like it since it’s a new design. I suppose you can say it’s for this new century of you children, with all your elegant shoes and dresses. I even saw how elegant a girl could be wearing pants.” Lisa smiled warmly. “I know how much you love purple but you know that we can only wear it on Cheshire day. So I thought you would like a shabby thing like this and-“
   “You made this?” Dinah said interrupting.
   Lisa looked at her and smiled. “I do make these for a living my dear. I would love to buy you something even more elegant than this but I just couldn’t afford it. Those high priced gowns would’ve looked lovely on you.”
   Dinah hugged her mother and gave her a hard kiss on the cheek. “Not a cent could buy a thing as beautiful as this. Thank you Mama. I am in absolute awe of this dress that my words simply can’t express my love for it.”
  Dinah’s mother smiled with watery eyes and returned the embrace. “I am so happy to have a blessing like you.” Lisa stroked Dinah’s curly hair. “Now let’s put it on to see how gorgeous you are.”
  A sound of tumbling paper came from behind them that they were both startled. Dinah and her mother turned around to see Dinah’s father still there with his small pieces of article papers from town scattered on the floor. “Oh dear I forgot you were there.”Lisa said. Damir looked at her with a brow raised. “Don’t give me that look. Now go off now.” Lisa said to her husband.
  Damir grabbed his papers and sat up with his brows raised again. “And why do you want me to leave so badly my loving wife?”
  Lisa tilted her head her head towards Dinah. Damir creased his brows in confusion and looked from Dinah to her mother. Dinah’s mother face palmed herself at her husband ignorance. Dinah sighed and lifted up her dress. He then looked from Dinah to her mother to her dress. He then tilted his head in even more confusion.
  “For goodness sakes you nit! Get out of the room so you’re daughter could change without a man around!” Her mother said.
   Damir raised his brows and circled his mouth to make and O. He took a good grip on his papers and stood. ”Oh yes I forgot.” He says. “My little girl is very much not so little anymore.” He looked at Dinah and the dress and smiled. “Call me when you’re done.”
  When he left the room her mother sighed. “I believe my handsome young loving man isn’t so young anymore.” In the other room they could hear Damir saying distanced “I’m only at the age of forty-five. When I can no longer move my legs then that’s when you shall call me an old man.”
  Dinah giggled. “Well I’ll start putting it on then.” Dinah started taking of her sleeping gown until her mother stopped her. “Oh hold on Kitten this wasn’t you’re complete outfit.” Dinah creased her forehead.
  Lisa looked back into the round box and took out stripped knee socks along with matching gloved sleeves with elegant black shoes. “I thought they would match so I was able to at least buy you these shoes and make you these socks and sleeves.” Dinah smiled and took a hold of them with sparkling eyes.
  She took off her night gown and put on the dress carefully without harming it. She then sat down as she slid her long socks on, Dinah smiled at the striped black and purple pattern on them. She then put on her shoes that shined dark black. Dinah stood as she put on her gloves that went all the way to the middle of her bicep and sighed at how comfortable they felt.
   “Oh my…you just look amazing-NO! You look like an angel. You’re absolutely beautiful Kitten.”
   Dinah stood in front of the mirror and pushed back her bangs. “Mama I’m not all certain an angel is this dark.” Dinah giggled. “But I do adore the clothes.”
  “Oh you do! Oh Kitten I’m overjoyed that you like it! Damir! Come here my old man!”
     Damir came in scratching his head. “Well I suppose that name is going to stay in this house for while huh Dear?” Lisa slapped him on the shoulder. “Oh stop it. Now look how gorgeous our Kitten is.” Damir rubbed his arm and looked at Dinah and smiled. “She’s not a kitten anymore.”
  Dinah looked at herself with an emotionless expression. The dress covered her curved body perfectly, the purple swirls went with her pearly pale skin, her hair was in beautiful natural curls and the sleeves and socks made her small frame look very cute.  She was gorgeous. She was but…
   Sniffle. Dinah turned around and saw her mother crying and her father holding her in his arms. “Ma-“Sniffle. “You really have grown haven’t you” Dinah looked at them. “What are you-“
   Damir let go of Lisa and looked into her eyes. Lisa looked into his and smiled. “I suppose I’ll go and get it then.” Dinah looked very confused. “Mama what is he-“Her mother cut her off with her watery eyes. Dinah stopped herself. Lisa walked over to her and played with Dinah’s hair. “You are a women now Kitten.” Dinah’s brows creased and then realized what she said and looked down and blushed.
   Damir came back with a small rectangular box. Lisa walked over to her and wrapped her arm around her husband’s arm. Damir kissed Lisa on the head and then handed out the box to Dinah.
   Dinah smiled sweetly with rosy cheeks and took the box. The box was designed beautifully. It was purple and attached with what looked like golden gems. ‘Must be from Papa’s shop’ Dinah thought. Dinah opened the box and gasped.
“Happy Cheshire Day” They said in unison.
  Dinah looked into the box and took out a purple ribbon. But it was astonishing since it was a necklace the completely wrapped itself around her neck. The purple ribbon was designed with black lace on the bottom and top of it, along with a hint of white on both ends. In the center was a closed rose.
   The rose in the center looked so real. In fact it was real! Somehow her father had gotten her a necklace with a real rose that didn’t seem like it would wilt any time soon.
   “This…this is…breathtaking.”Her parents chuckled. “Wow.” Dinah said.
   “Put it on.” Lisa said.
   Dinah quickly walked towards the mirror and put it on. Through her hair she saw the necklace on her neck. “You really look like woman now Dinah.” Damir said.
  Dinah touched the collar like necklace and said faintly “Woman huh.”
   There was a knock at the door. They turned to the door of the sound of someone knocking. “I’ll get it!” Dinah said.
   Dinah ran to the door and opened to a blue haired, tall, pale skinned guy named “Xanti!”
  Xanti looked down at the small Dinah with a slouch. He had his hands in the pockets of his black pants, the bangs of his blue hair covering his pale forehead, and with his favorite blue shirt with a black mini jacket.
  His face was expressionless, the same expression as always though. Face of no interest in the world but sadness and emptiness. Not even at the most beautiful things in the world would you expect him to at least make a smirk. No he would never smile to anyone. Not even to his parents probably.
  But as Xanti looked down at Dinah, with her socks and sleeves and her dress and curly black hair, he did the most smallest of any smiles. You could barely see it, only Dinah could. Not because of the fact she was closer to him than her parents, but because she could see him. She could see him through his rare and beautiful blue green eyes.
  “Ready to go” Xanti asked.
“Oh you’re leaving already?” Damir asked.
“Well we better hurry and get ready then darling!” Lisa said.
  Xanti looked plainly at them, and sighed. “You couldn’t tell them could you?” He said looking down at her.
  Dinah twiddled her fingers and looked down. Her parents looked at each other and then at Dinah. “Is there something else you want to tell us Dinah?”
   Xanti raised his brows.
  Dinah looked up at Xanti. Xanti looked back down at her and c***ed his head and raised his brows again, but differently. He made this expression. A very rare one in fact since he doesn’t usually make any. He either looks like he’s bored or done with the world. But sometimes he would look at Dinah in different forms. And every different expression is new so it’s precious to Dinah.
  So when Dinah looked up at Xanti and looked at his expression that means ‘I know you can do it, go.’ She left all her anxiety with a puff and looked back at her parents.
   “Well. As I was going to tell you Mama today is Cheshire day. And every year this is practically the only time I can go outside, but with you. S-so I wanted to ask if…if…” Dinah twiddled her fingers again. Xanti grabbed the back of her hair and pulled it back. Dinah made a squeak and held her head and looked back at Xanti.
  He didn’t look at her though, his arms were crossed and he was looking the other way. Dinah smiled and turned to her parents again. “If I can go alone with Xanti this time, without you guys. So I can see what’s outside of our house for myself.”
  Her parents weren’t shocked. “No!” Her mother said. Dinah and her father both looked surprised. Xanti just kept looking away with a tighter gripof his crossed arms.
  “What? But Mama-“
“No! I said no! I’m not going to let you leave this house on your own. Don’t ask again. Now wait here and wait for me and your father to finish getting ready.”
  Dinah was shocked. She didn’t think her mother would just say “No” without even thinking about it. She felt a cold feeling in her chest and looked at Xanti with her confused expression.
And he did it again. He just looked at her, with his bored expression. He just kept looking at her for what felt like ages until Dinah felt this heat in her chest. This immense heat that gave her an urge to scream for no reason whatsoever.
She then turned and said to her mother. “What do you mean no? Mama I should be able to leave the house now. Will you not grant me that wish? Don’t just say no to me without thinking.” Dinah said.
  Lisa turned shocked. Dinah was also surprised and covered her mouth since she didn’t even know what she just yelled out. Damir looked at her and smiled. But Lisa looked different. She looked scared. Scared? Why was she scared, Dinah thought.
  “Now listen here. You are my daughter and I am the one who cares for you. I am the mother and you should listen to me, when I say no that should be final.” Lisa stuttered.
  Dinah looked upset. She wasn’t angry though because her mother did have a point. Her mother was the one who birthed her and who took care and loved her all these years, and also protected Dinah. Because she knew she was different every time she looked through her dark hair and saw all the children with their blue or green eyes. And she knew that their hair must have been blue or black because they were born like that. They didn’t need to put a liquid on their hair every month because their hair must not be that color.
   Dinah looked at her mother with defeat written on her face, but her father thought otherwise. “Well I believe it’s my turn to speak. Let’s go to the other room for a minute Dear.” Lisa looked at her husband angered but he just smiled warmly. She then walked to the other room without a word with him right behind her.
  Dinah then fell to her knees and let out a big breath of relief. Xanti then squatted down still hovering over her. “Hang in there” he said.
Dinah smiled in his direction. “They still may be talking about it but…thank you. I probably wouldn’t even be able to open my mouth without you. I’m glad I have you Xanti.”
  Xanti once again did one of the smallest smiles ever. It was probably one percent more noticeable since he was smiling just a tad bit wider. But like always only Dinah could see his smile that she truly loved.
  From the other room they could hear the quiet screams probably coming from Dinah’s parents. They couldn’t make out what they were saying but the conversation didn’t sound to calming. Then about after a little more over ten minutes they come back to the living room.
  Damir had the face of victory and happiness on his face, while Lisa had just sadness written on hers. “Well Dinah it looks like you can go on your date with Xanti today!”
  Dinah smiled the brightest of smiles and jumped up from the ground with joy. She hugged both her parents and then Xanti. And then she remembered what her father said more clearly. “Wait what? Did you say date?” She said letting go of Xanti.
  “Well you want to go to Cheshire day alone to go on a date with Xanti right?” He said confused. He walked over to Xanti who the entire time had his big hand covering his face from embarrassment. He doesn’t let anyone look at his face like that since he just can’t control it how red his face turns.
   “She said she wanted to see what was outside for herself. I swear you really are an old nit of a husband.” Lisa said.
   Damir just scratched his head and sighed. “Well I guess your right this time darling. Now let’s get back to the topic.” He looked at Xanti. “We have to talk Mr. Pree.”
  Xanti scratched his head nodded. Damir gave him a pat on the back and guided him to the guest room. They walked off leaving Lisa and Dinah alone.
  For the first time Dinah was glad she had bangs covering her eyes. Because at the moment she didn’t want to face her mother since she was embarrassed from the little blow up she had on her at the moment. Her mother was the same.
  The silence practically sucked up all the air in the room. They couldn’t and wouldn’t talk to each other. They both were equally childish. But the fact that Dinah’s mother was the only actual adult in the room caused her to speak up. And once she spoke Dinah practically jumped. Her mother practically yelled out “Well since you’re going off with Xanti you’ll  need more suitable shoes. You’ll probably run in the mud like you have before and I don’t want your shoes to go to waste.”
Lisa went by the kitchen where a full stack of boxes were. Damir and Lisa would always bring work home with them since both mostly created things. Damir would be in the business of creating shoes and jewelry, while Lisa created dresses. They both sold a decent amount of their creations so they were middle class.
  Dinah looked as her mother brought her a shoe sized box and brought it to her. “This will probably be appropriate for when you guys go running around like you usually do. I can’t do anything about the dress but give you a black coat so it won’t get dirty.” Lisa opened the box and took out two black boots. Very pretty boots actually.
   Dinah looked at the boots and took off her black heels. She put on her black boots and walked around in them and smiled. Her mother always knew the type of fashion she loves. And she loves boots. “They’re so comfortable.” Dinah stood in front of the mirror and took a look at her outfit. Her dress matched with her stripped knee high socks and stripped sleeves. The boots just added a cuter version to the outfit.
  Dinah turned shyly to her mother and said “Thank you.”
  Lisa nodded. Dinah fidgeted with her dress and Lisa looked away. Lisa then just sighed and opened up her arms to Dinah. Dinah smiled and hugged her mother. Lisa stroked Dinah’s hair and kissed the top of her head. “Don’t let anyone see you okay? And please be careful. You’re so clumsy that you may end up tripping on your own feet.”
  Dinah laughed. “I will.”
Damir and Xanti came out of the other room, Xanti now holding a brown bag around his shoulder. “Now you two better get going before the parade starts. “Damir said.
  Xanti walked next to Dinah and opened the door for her. Dinah jumped excited to go outside by herself. Well with Xanti of course. She brushed her bangs down to make sure her eyes were completely covered and walked outside.
   “Don’t leave the town line. That’s forbidden! Don’t talk to any strangers. And if they approach you act like politely. Don’t stay gone for too long! Be back before dawn! Make sure to eat food not just the festival snacks!” Lisa shouted.
  Dinah waved to Lisa blowing her a kiss. Xanti waited a few steps ahead of her until her mother finished yelling out rules.
  Dinah caught up to Xanti. “Ready to see the town” He asked.
   Dinah looked around at the decorated town and said “I’m ready to finally see it for myself.”

This is the second chapter of a book I'm making. It is about the descendants of the characters in wonderland and how they live their lives. Dinah is the descendant of Alice, Xanti is the descendant of the cheshire cat. But they don't know it yet. In this chapter they will celebrate the day of the cheshire cat alone. Hopefully no one finds out about Dinah's secret.