DB Avary | Teen Ink

DB Avary

A cold rainy day in the city. Clouds covering the sky blocking the sun. The type of day that most people would want to stay in their homes. I am not most people. My name is DB Avery. I am a private detective that used to work for the police. I normally just do small cases that get brought to me by people who have no one else to go to. I thought my life was going to stay the uneventful and bland until Alice walked into my office. Three days ago I was finishing up a case about a stolen car when someone knocked on my door. *knock knock knock*
I put down my paperwork and said, “who's there”
“I have a case for you”
“I’m not taking any new cases right now. If you want my help leave it in th-”
“It’s very important and I can’t go to the police” She said in a panicked voice.
I sighed and said,“Fine. The doors open come in.”
The door swung open and she stepped in. She was tall and blonde. She wore a red dress and a pearl necklace. A real rich type. She would have looked amazing if it wasn’t for the look of fear in her pale blue eyes. “What case do you have for me” I said knowing that people like her tend to get flustered over nothing.
“I am being framed for murder. The murder of my husband.”
“Then you’ve come to the wrong place. Go find yourself a lawyer.”
“I can’t. The police killed my husband. They have the courts in their pockets. I need you to clear my name.”
“I don’t do any cases this big. I won’t put myself into the middle of this for only a couple hundred dol-”
“I will pay you half a million dollars.”
“You have yourself a deal. Now tell me everything you know. What's your name.”
“Alice.”
After a night of talking to Alice I started to find a lead. She left in the morning, but I knew all I needed to so I went to the one place that could get me answers. Her apartment. She lived in the nice part of town in one of the skyscrapers penthouses. The crime scene was just as I thought cleaned clear of all evidence by the police already. Or at least that's how it looked. I checked everywhere, but all I could find was one bullet casing in a vent that the police must have not checked. A day where all I could find was a bullet casing. That may have been a lead in any other case but no this one. Not if the police are the one responsible. I went home to think about what I should try next, but when I got back to my apartment the door was pried open. I rushed to the door gun drawn. I went inside and it was a mess. All my papers were thrown on the floor and furniture was flipped. Some one came here looking for something. Then it hit me. The files for this case they were all gone. I went to a hotel for the night after I called a repairman. I stayed there for an evening and then I got into the situation I am in now. Someone has found out that I am staying here and has come for me.
The police had find me and they are not here to talk. I quickly moved to hide under my bed. The police starting knocking down the door and after three hits the door broke open. From what I could see there are about five of them each armed and ready to kill. I need to be quiet. I held my breath and the only noise in the room was the footsteps of policemen. They soon left after they couldn’t find me. I had nowhere to hide so I just walked on the streets. No money could be enough to make me keep doing this case. Not only has my home been torn apart but I can’t even sleep without fear of being killed. This one case might not be for me, but no one else will do it so I must go on. I went to the police station that night not knowing what would happen to me. I just had to get answers. I can only hope that I will see the light of another day. I just have to solve this crime.