Enjoy The Blue Ghost | Teen Ink

Enjoy The Blue Ghost

April 1, 2016
By devjanipaul PLATINUM, Queens, New York
devjanipaul PLATINUM, Queens, New York
30 articles 22 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“And I knew her soul wasn’t something to take lightly. In a world where very little truth existed, her soul was a pariah, standing alone burning like a wildfire in my bones– a flaming crescent across pale midnight skies.”

Christopher Poindexter


The shouts of my boss ran through my mind as I slowly walked into my apartment building. I sighed as I thought about work. The entire day, my computer had been malfunctioning . Every time I tried to open a document, an image of a small ghost would jump out at me. I must have caught some bizarre virus and I tried everything to relieve myself off it, but not even the office technician could get rid of the image. I pushed all thoughts to the back of my mind as I approached the door of my apartment. I searched for the keys in my purse when my feet brushed against something on the floor. I jumped back in surprise and looked at the item on my mat. It was an old chipped, wooden box with a dragon engraved on the lid. I cautiously picked it up, holding it carefully. I shook it slightly and heard the sound of something very light rustling inside. One part of me was telling me not to open the box but the other side was urging my curiosity on. I caved in to the latter and slowly unclasped the rusty lock and opened the lid. Inside was a red, velvet cushion and sitting on top of it was a small scroll. It looked ancient, the sides ripped and a horrible stench made my stomach churn. I felt my heart starting to beat faster as I picked up the scroll and unrolled it carefully. My cocoa brown eyes grew wider and my breathing faster as I read the words written upon the beige paper: “Enjoy the Blue Ghost.”  It wasn’t the words, but rather the drawing of a little blue ghost on the side that nearly stopped my heart. It was exactly the same ghost from my computer screen today, the same smile taunting me. I quickly put the note back into the box and ran to the garbage room next door where I threw the box down the chute. I heard a soft thud as the box landed in midst of banana peels and spoiled food. I quickly left the room and walked into my apartment where I tripled checked my locks.
The next day, I walked home from work, my head filled with images of the box and the scroll, trying to make sense of everything. I entered my apartment and locked my door as I breathed a sigh of relief. I turned around and felt a chill go down my spine. It felt unusually cold in my apartment even though it was the middle of July. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I scrambled to turn my lights on. Suddenly a loud wail filled my eardrums and I jumped up, afraid. It went silent for a few seconds before the wailing started again. Shaking, I put my hands to my ears and closed my eyes praying that the noise would stop, but it only continued to grow louder and I started shrieking in fear. As I started screaming, the wailing suddenly stopped. I felt as if someone was watching me and slowly opened my eyes. I took in the image ahead of me and and screamed once again. In front of me stood a figure in blue, covered in metal armor. He had a shield in one hand and a sword in the other, poised to attack.
He looked over at me and his face suddenly filled with sheer astonishment, confusion, and recognition as he lowered his weapon and whispered, “Guinevere?”


The author's comments:

This was inspired from the BBC show Merlin.