Prearranged Marriage | Teen Ink

Prearranged Marriage

By idiotdirtbag SILVER, Albany, Oregon
idiotdirtbag SILVER, Albany, Oregon

"I require ham." -Luke Hemmings

"I don't care, Calum," Michael spat.

Currently, the two were sitting in their living room on their sofa. Michael was trying to watch some mindless television program as Calum was interested in small talk.

"You never care about anything I say," Calum spoke with a hint of sadness in his voice.

"You're right. Now, if you don't mind, I'm busy here."

--

"Great news, Mike," Michael's father, Daryl, spoke.

Michael looked up from his bowl of cereal. "What?"

"I found someone for you."

Michael rolled his eyes. He hated this. He hated how he was born into a family with such awful beliefs. He hated how he was born into a family that set him up for marriage right after high school. Michael believed that marriage should be based on love and trust, not wealth and illogical stuff like that.

"I've told you many times before, and I'll tell you once again," the teenager said through clenched teeth. "I am not interested in marrying some nut you and mum picked out for me. I will get married whenever I find someone I love and when I am good and ready to settle down and be committed to it."

As Michael got up from the table to put his cereal bowl in the sink, his father followed him and stood behind the kitchen island. He slammed his fists down on the counter top. "No! Michael Gordon Clifford, you are my son and you will do as told! In this family, we have culture and ethics, and in that culture and ethics, we believe in prearranged marriage! So, that means marrying whomever we deem appropriate and best for our family!"

Michael turned around to face his dad. "What about me?! Doesn't it matter what I want?!"

"Of course it matters! But not if you want is immoral and wrong!"

"Immoral ans wrong?! Getting married to the love of your life is immoral and wrong? You know what's immoral and wrong? What you and mum taught me to believe in. That's immoral and wrong."

"What we taught you is the right way of life. Our ancestors created prearranged marriage for us to keep our families in check and to keep us sane!"

Michael curled his hands into fists and smacked them on the counter, mimicking Daryl's previous actions. He un-clenched them and brought them up to his white hair, tugging at the ends harshly. "Oh my god! You are so f***ing pretentious! Dad, when are you going to realize that you aren't always right?" Michael released his hair, bringing his arms down to reveal his reddened face. "I am so f***ing tired of all this s*** you and mum tell me about how I am supposed to spend my life. It's my life! I should be able to be in control of what goes on in it!"

Michael's dad leaned over the counter, in hopes to get closer to his son. His face grew red with anger, even more than it already was, and a distinctive vein poked out of his neck. "You will not talk to me like that!" He threw out his arm and pointed toward the stairs. "Go to your room and don't come out until I permit you to!"

Although he didn't want to, Michael complied. In all honesty, he just wanted to get out of the room Daryl was in. He thought multiple times about sneaking out, but decided against it, knowing things might get worse.

He sat himself on his bed, holding his head in his hands, he looked at his floor, trying his best to calm himself. He gathered up enough stability to pick up his phone and call his best friend, Ashton.

"Hello?" Ashton answered.

"I f***ing hate my parents," Michael stated bluntly.

"What'd they do this time, Mikey?"

"My dad's talking about the stupid prearranged marriage thing again," he growled.

"Again?" Ashton huffed. "When's he gonna give that up?"

"Probably never. Well, not any time soon at least. He said he found someone."

"That's f***ing fantastic. Did you tell him you weren't interested?"

"Yeah, but basically, it just turned into yelling and now I'm banished to my room."

Ashton groaned, showing annoyance. "Yikes. I'm sorry, mate."

Suddenly, there was a knock on Michael's bedroom door, followed by the sound of his name.

"Ugh. I have to go, Ash. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye."

--

"We just want what's best for you, dear," Michael's mother, Karen, spoke softly.

Michael was sat around the kitchen table with his mum and dad. The three of them had been talking for the past hour about this whole prearranged marriage fiasco. Surprisingly, everyone managed to keep their temper under control, although the environment they were in was extremely stressful. They had come to the decision that marrying the person they found for their son was what was best. Michael was just tired of fighting with his parents, so he gave in. He knew he shouldn't have. He knew that it wasn't the right thing to do. However, he was simply too exhausted to argue.

"You'll love him, honey. Don't worry," Karen spoke reassuringly.

Michael's eyes widened and his eyebrows rose. "Him?"

Michael's parents exchanged a look of confusion then looked back at their son. "Honey, you are gay, right?"

Michael scratched his head, looking down at his lap, exhaling a loud "Wow." He looked back up at his parents. "Well, I am, but how did you know? Who told you?"

Michael's mother took a hold of her son's hand and looked him in the eye. "Sweetie, no one told us; we just knew. I mean, it would explain why you spend so much time with Ashton..."

The boy scrunched up his face in disgust. "Oh my god, you think Ashton and I...? Yuck! No! He's my best friend, he'll never be anything more than that. He's like my brother! Besides, he's got a boyfriend called Luke."

"Sorry, bud," Daryl spoke. "Oh, tomorrow night we're having that family over for dinner so we can get to know them a little more personally and begin to get comfortable around them."

"What family?" Michael asked.

"The one you're marrying into, dear," his mother interjected.

"Great." Saying that that last comment was said in a sarcastic tone would definitely be classified as an understatement.

--

"Honey, go put this plate of crackers on the table," Karen told Michael as she handed him said plate.

He took the crackers and put them on the table just as he was told to. It was currently 6:31 PM and his family was waiting on their dinner guests; they should be there any minute. The teenager walked back into the kitchen to find his mother grabbing a few wine glasses down from their rack.

"Mum," Michael spoke, trying to get her attention. "Is this boy you want me to marry... Is he cute at least?"

"Um," she began. She took the final glass from its home and set it on the counter. She then turned her body to face her child. "Yeah, I've seen him a couples times, I mean your dad has seen him more than me, but yeah, I'd say he's cute. For you anyway."

Michael furrowed his brows in confusion whilst helping his mum take the glasses to the table. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing really. I just, I mean I think you'd like him is all. I think he's your type."

Michael nodded, pretending to understand what his mother just said. There was a knock at the door and Michael ran into the living room, trying to hide from the company. He sat himself on the couch in the corner and began to play on his phone. A few moments later Michael's parents walked in with another set of parents and a teenage boy, who was Michael's age.

The boy appeared to have dark brown hair, olive skin, a nice button down shirt, and eyes that made him look slightly Asian. And obviously, no one was going to bring that up, considering that that's rude and he's Australian.

Michael's dad told them to sit on the love seat and chair, leaving the Clifford's on the couch. Their guests looked around the room, taking in the scenery.

"Your house is very lovely," the mother spoke. "The decor is very nice."

Michael's mum smiled. "Thank you! It took a while to get it where it is now, but it's there!"

Daryl glanced at his son, giving him a very familiar scowl. "Mike, put your phone away, we have company."

The white-haired boy locked his phone, setting it in his lap and looked up at the strangers in his house. The first one he laid his eyes on was the boy. "Man," he thought. "Mum was right; he is cute. but I don't care if he's cute. He could be an asshole, and this whole thing is wrong. I'm supposed to marry him after graduation and I don't even know him. This is so f***ed up."

"Michael, these are Hood's. Joy, David, and Calum: the boy whom you're going to marry," Karen sad politely.

"Hello, Michael. It's nice to meet you," Joys smiled. She sent a look to her son, suggesting he used his manners.

"It's very nice to meet you," Calum said, also smiling. Oh man, if looks could kill. "Hello."

"Hi," said Michael. It was a hushed greeting, sort of sounding as if it was coming from behind clenched teeth.

Daryl placed his right hand on Michael's left knee. "Why don't you two boys go upstairs and get to know each other?"

"Why can't we just do it here?" Michael spat.

Michael looked at his dad, his dad staring evilly at him. "Go upstairs."

Michael rolled his eyes and got up, walking passed the chair in which Calum was sitting. "C'mon, Calum."

Calum rose and followed Michael to the second floor. Michael led them down the hallway and to the last door on the left. They entered the room and Michael plopped onto his bed.

Calum stood awkwardly next to the door, looking around the room. "Cool room."

The white-haired boy nodded, gesturing a "thank you." He sat up on his bed and looked at the other lad in the room. "You can sit down if you want to."

Calum then sat in the spot Michael was patting, which happened to be in front of him, at the end of the bed.

"Um, I'm sorry," Michael began, twiddling his fingers. "I'm in a bad mood. It doesn't have anything to do with you, if that's what you're wondering. I just really hate the fact that I'm being forced into marriage."

Calum's brows furrowed, a hurt expression forming on his face. He looked down at his lap and back at the other lad. "You- you don't want to marry me?"

"I don't even know you, Calum. I don't want to marry anyone unless I know them like the back of my hand. Unless I trust them with anything and everything. And most importantly, I don't want to marry someone unless I love them and I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with them."

Calum looked down again, now playing with the hem of his jeans. "Oh."

Michael couldn't help but notice the sadness in Calum's voice, causing him to change his behavior. "There is no way you're up for this."

The Kiwi boy shrugged a bit, still not looking up from his legs. "Well, I mean... I think the idea is nice. I think that it ensures you a life partner, almost no matter what. I just like the feeling of assurance it gives me."

"So, you're saying that arranged marriage is a good thing?"

"Well, yeah. I think it is. I think it's good to have the organization and I think it's nice that there won't be the worry of 'Will I ever find the one?' It's idealistic."

Michael rolled his eyes, scoffing a bit. "You're ridiculous. I don't understand how no one but me sees how wrong this is!"

"Maybe it's because it's not wrong."

"Oh my f***ing god," Michael huffed.

It was quiet for a moment, the room filled with an awkward silence. Well, it was until Calum spoke up.

"Okay, here's how I see it. There is no getting out this; we're getting forced to get married this year. We don't have much time. So, we can either spend the time we do have getting to know each other and gaining each other's trust, or we can waste it by sitting here, arguing."

Calum stared at Michael, as he remained silent, studying his face, trying to determine what was going on in his head. Michael looked at Calum and exhaled loudly with a groan. "Fine. What's your favorite color?"

--

"I do," Calum said with a smile.

Both boys were at their wedding now, both dressed in very nice tuxedos. They were standing at the altar in front of the wedding minister and both of their friends and families. Ashton and Luke stood beside Michael, both being groomsmen, Ashton doubling as the best man.

The whole sea of people were extremely quiet, awaiting Michael's "I do." Time went on and there was still nothing from Michael. Quiet whispers started filling the church. Michael rolled his eyes and groaned softly. Ashton noticed the mood his friends was in and placed a hand on his shoulder, telling him that he had to do it.

"I still think this is s***," Michael said under his breath. He looked at his fiance and plastered the most fake smile ever on his face. "I do."

The minister smiled looking at the couple in front of him. "Great. I now pronounce you husbands. You may now kiss each other."

Calum looked at Michael's with hopeful eyes. Michael looked at Calum with worry in his. They've been engaged for roughly five months--enough to organize the wedding--and they haven't kissed once. Calum took Michael out a couple of times to try to win him over, but every time they went out, Michael kept a bad attitude. They almost did once--they had spent the evening watching movies and they got cuddly--but Michael backed away quickly, blaming his odd  behavior on sleep deprivation.

As they stood at the altar looking at one another, their guests in the crowd were watching intently. The minister cleared his throat. "I said, you may now kiss each other."

They began to lean in and close their eyes. Once they got close enough, Michael quickly pressed his lips against Calum's, then pulled away just as fast. The crowd of people began to clap and cheer as the two husbands walked back down the aisle, their groomsmen following.

--

It's been a month since the wedding. Michael and Calum live together in a small apartment uptown. Calum has tried, and tried to get this marriage to work, but Michael wasn't having it. this whole thing was still bothering him greatly.

"Mikey," Calum spoke, trying to get his husband's attention as he walked into the living room. He stopped and sat on the ottoman in front of the couch where the white-haired lad was sitting.  "I had a really good day today. Sharon brought in cookies and-"

"I don't care, Calum," Michael spat.

Michael was trying to watch some mindless television program as Calum was interested in small talk.

Calum watched as Michael adverted his attention fully to the TV. The Kiwi got up and walked to their room. He sat on his bed (they had separate beds since Michael wasn't comfortable with sharing), and brought his knees up to his chest, wrapping him arms around them. He rested his head on the top of his knees and began allowing himself to cry. Soft sobs slowly made their way out, sounding very choked.

Michael, still on the couch, heard the choked crying noises coming form the bedroom. He rolled his eyes, becoming more annoyed now that Calum was crying. He couldn't believe he was being such a baby about this. Seriously, all he does is cry and complain. Ugh.

The crying became louder--it wasn't intentional, it just happened--and Michael sighed. He pulled his phone out and decided he should text Ashton.

[To: Ash

Calum won't stop crying. He's being a baby. Help.]

[From: Ash

What'd you do?]

[To: Ash

I wouldn't let him tell me about his day. -_-]

[From: Ash

That's it? Tell me all that happened.]

[To: Ash

He came home, I was watching tv, he started bugging me and talking to me about his day, I told him that I didn't care, I was busy. Then he got all upset and started telling me about how I never pay attention to him and how I don't care about him. Which isn't true by the way. Idk it was dumb.]

[To: ash

He's being a baby about it. He overreacts and cries about everything.]

[From: Ash

I know you don't particularly care for this whole marriage thing, but I think you really hurt him. Just because you don't like how your life is right now, doesn't mean you should take it out on him. He didn't do anything wrong;  he just listened to his parent's orders, just like you did. I think you should go talk to him and apologize for making him feel awful and like a f*** up.]

[To: Ash

Ugh. I hate that you're so wise.]

Michael set his phone down on the arm of the couch and walked into his bedroom. He saw Calum curled up and sniffling, occasionally wiping his eyes and face. Michael sat on the edge of Calum's bed. "Calum..."

Calum looked up from his knees, glaring at Michael. "What?"

"I'm sorry," Michael began. He looked at Calum's face, seeing it drenched in tears, making a small pang in his chest form. He looked down at his hands as he fiddled with his fingers. "I know that I made you feel this way, and I hate that. I know that you know how I feel about this  whole marriage thing, and it's been getting to me, and I shouldn't be taking it out on you like I have been. You haven't been anything but be super nice, sweet, and caring to me, and I haven't been recognizing that and thanking you for it. I really appreciate that you're trying your best to make our marriage work, even though I'm tearing it apart. I am very, very sorry that I've been an ignorant prick. Really, I am."

Calum wiped his face, ridding of his tears. He sniffled once more before wrapping his arms back around his knees and looking at Michael. "Really?"

Michael looked up at him, with tears rimming his eyes. "Yes. Look, Calum, I know you're doing all that you can to make this work--to make ?us? work. You're the one who makes dinner every night, you're the one who cleans the house, you're the one who is trying to be my friend, you're trying to act like my husband, I'm not. I really love that you do all that. I feel like I am the biggest asshole in the world right now, and I am so sorry it took me this long to realize it."

"Thank you."

It was a very small "Thank you," but it's all Calum could let out. It's all he could think of, especially since Michael had just given him a very long, very overdue apology. Registering all that in his head, Calum took a deep breath. It's been a month since the wedding and Michael was just now realizing what he did wrong. Even though Calum had mentioned it multiple times (about how much of a bad husband Michael was), somehow he didn't understand it until now.

Michael wiped his eyes before his tears could escape and he gently placed a hand on Calum's knee. "Calum, I know I've been an idiot dickwad, but I want to give us a try. I don't want to give into the stupidity of prearranged marriage and give into other people deciding who I am going to spend the rest of my life with, but I see that you're the best husband anyone could ask for. If you're up for it and willing to forgive me, then I'd like to take you out to dinner tonight and maybe something more, and see where this goes. I can see really us getting along."

Calum smiled and exhaled loudly. "Y-yeah, I'd like that."

Inspired by a dream I had during a nap once. Starring 5 Seconds Of Summer.

Bluassass1n said...
on May. 17 2016 at 3:40 pm
Bluassass1n,
omg!!!!!! I love it. this is beautiful and i love it calum and Micheal are so great together. i mean i totally ship them together.